In the balance

When Carole Wells and her husband Norman, founding owners of the Croft Tearoom, decided to retire, they hoped to find someone with their passion to take it over. However, despite initial interest, a buyer could not be found. It seemed the only option left to the husband and wife team was to close the business. That is until a restless Rebecca Birs appeared on the horizon.

Rebecca didn’t suddenly wake one morning and declare, ‘I want to own a teashop’. But with a catering background and a desire to one day own a pub or restaurant, it was always on the cards.

In fact she had been searching for something more challenging and fulfilling for a while but not really knowing what that was. When she heard the Croft was up for sale she instinctively knew she had to go for it.

Rebecca said: “Living locally I passionately believe that the Croft Tearoom enhances the area and the lives of people in St Mary Cray. It’s an important part of the community. So when this opportunity arose it just seemed right.”

A financial challenge

Rebecca is only too aware of the challenges she faces to build on the work started by Carole and Norman. One key challenge is funding.

The tearoom has received some grants and also benefited from local goodwill in the form of donations, but by and large it has to fund itself.

“I’m not sure this is something people realise. Because we are a community tearoom I think there is an assumption that we receive funding. In fact we have to operate as a commercial enterprise, the only difference is that any profit we make is put back into the business. If the tearoom could attract 25 to 30 customers a day it would provide some financial stability,” said Rebecca.

She continued: “We will need to widen our network whilst staying true to our loyal customers. We have a great product and team, and the tearoom itself is such a warm and welcoming place. It may not be on a major high street but I truly believe if we can attract different audiences, and give them a great experience, it will become a destination people are happy to travel to, as it is with many of our existing customers.”

Vital support

Although Rebecca took over the Croft in April she wasn’t left to sink or swim. Carole and Norman provided her with plenty of support during the transition of ownership.  

And believe it or not Rebecca is also holding down a demanding job at Greystar, a US real estate development and management company based in London.

She said: “They have been very supportive of my new endeavour and have allowed me to reduce my working hours. They also have some hugely talented people across the business in marketing and other key areas who have offered their help and expertise, so I am somewhat blessed.”

She can also count on a small but very special group of people who have provided her with practical advice and emotional support. Some, like her mum and her partner, even help out in the tearoom occasionally.

Rebecca joked: “They must feel like they have a new job!”

She is also quick to point out the encouragement she has received from the local community.

“I have been absolutely blown away by the goodwill and kindness of our customers and local residents,” she said.

A great team

As with any catering business, staff are a key ingredient to its success. Rebecca has been fortunate to inherit a great group of people made up of five part time staff and 10 volunteers.

They turn their hand to various tasks, essential to keeping the business running smoothly. They range from:

• waiting at tables
  • cooking
  • promoting the tearoom
  • refreshing the window displays
  • managing the Croft's social media

Changes afoot

Rebecca was quick to point out that the Croft will continue to be a community tearoom and sell locally sourced farmer’s produce and artisan gifts. But other changes are being implemented.

Sunday opening has been reintroduced and Sunday lunches are on the menu for those who want a break from slaving over a hot stove at home.

The Croft Poetry Group continues to meet at the tearoom and a book club has been launched which meets on the third Wednesday of each month. The Croft also offers a cake decorating service.

Looking ahead Rebecca wants to expand the tearoom’s private hire, event catering and evening events.

All these changes will help her long term her plan is to grow the business, hopefully with an additional site, so that she can take a salary which will enable her to focus totally on the tearoom.

Farewell

At the end of May a farewell party was held at the Croft to say goodbye and thank you to Carole and Norman. Over 70 people attended and saw the couple presented with gifts, flowers and cards. It was a fitting tribute for over five and a half years of service to the local community.

At the same event people heard Rebecca outline her vision for the tearoom and her aspiration to make it a destination for all whilst keeping its individuality, ethos and soul fully intact.

After a shaky start to the year it seems the Croft Tearoom’s cup is most definitely half full!

To find out more about The Croft Tearoom, click here to visit their website.

.To contact the author of this story, click here to send an email.