Cray Wanderers Football Club have formed a Community Development Committee to oversee ambitious plans to put the club back at the heart of the Cray community.

The Committee, set up just before Christmas, will focus on obtaining planning permission for the club’s new stadium in Sandy Lane, St. Paul’s Cray.

It will also look at ways to build on the success of Cray Wanderers Community Scheme by engaging a wider cross-section of the local people across the Cray’s.

The Committee is chaired by Kay Skelton who brings a wealth of experience to her role having previously worked with the Football Association, local authorities, communities and other stakeholders on similar ventures.

Kay said: “I am very pleased to be involved with this project which is close to my heart as Cray Wanderers are my local team. In the coming weeks I shall be meeting with local politicians, community groups and other interested parties to try to gain their support for this valuable community initiative.”

Cray Wanderers had their first planning application rejected in September 2012. But they are keen to demonstrate the benefits to the community of a revised plan which was submitted to Bromley Council last November.

David Francis, deputy chairman of the football club and vice-chairman of the Committee, said: “This project is about more than building a new ground for the world’s second oldest football club. It is about consolidating various aspects of the club into a unified organisation that can support and enhance our community here in the Cray’s, and do it in a way that is financially self-sustaining.”

Some of those community opportunities under discussion include school and community use, a 5 year football development plan which will include women and girl’s football, disability sports, school holiday and afterschool provision, and the development of a running track for everyone to access.

The committee is also looking at other ways to open up the new stadium facilities, both on and off the pitch, to benefit people living and working in the Cray’s.

Kay said: “Cray Wanderers was born out of the community in 1860. Now is the right time to bring the club back to its historic home and back to its community. It is also important for us as a club to build on the legacy provided by a very successful Olympic Games. By working with other interested parties we can build a sporting and social hub here in the Cray’s that everyone can be proud of.”

For more on this story, please email richardbowdery@live.com.