The Friends of The Highway (FoTH) [1] held a euphoric 10k run today, Sunday 7th July, with over a hundred runners from all over the South East who took to the streets of Chelsfield to demonstrate their competitive spirit.

Through sweltering heat the runners gave it their all, cheered on by local residents, family and friends. Ben Cockburn, running for Bromley Harriers, won the race with an amazing time of 36 minutes and 44 seconds and was presented with a trophy by the schools Headteacher, Mrs Susan Kenneth.

Families were not left by the wayside at this event, a special 2k fun run was also held to keep the young in the competitive mood! Those who didn’t want to run either cheered the way for the runners in the spectacular sunshine, or took in the pleasures of the carnival atmosphere back at the school where bouncy castles, food stalls and entertainment was on offer.

Our roving reporters Ryan Callow and Nathanial Redding, both age 7 [2], ran the family fun run capturing the mood brilliantly “We love fun runs!”.

Notes to Editors [1] The Friends of The Highway is the Parent Teacher Association of The Highway Primary School, Chelsfield, BR6 9DG, registered charity number 802304.

[2] Ryan and Nathanial’s debrief of the fun run follows below.

Ryan Callow & Nathanial Redding, Age 7, Year 2 Debrief on The Highway Primary Schools Family 2K Fun Run We raced in the fun run to raise money for the school, and because it is great fun!

I (Ryan) was 8th and am really pleased that I drew in the race with the fastest person in year 4!

I (Nathanial) was a bit behind you, because my little sister got tired and Daddy had to carry her.

The running was the best part, but we did get exhausted. We would definitely run it again though – perhaps run it and then see if we can run the whole thing all over again!

We would say to everyone else that they should come and run the Highway 10K or 2k run next year, because it’s really fun, and in the 2K you can do anything you want – go fast or slow, hop or jump. So to all the families and friends, come and join us next year!

“We love fun run’s!”

Based on information supplied by Sam Redding.