A primary school is teaching pupils about money issues – by opening its own bank.

Charlton Manor school in the Royal Borough of Greenwich has set up a branch of HSBC after five “gifted and talented” pupils passed individual job interviews at the bank’s branch in Lewisham.

Nine-year-old Yuxuan Jiang is now the school’s bank manager; Jessica Nguyen, 11, cashier; Daisy Thackrah, 10, floor walker; Tuong-Luan, 10, customer services; and 11-year-old Fola Kayode, marketing.

“They will pass on advice to younger children about the value of money and the responsibility involved,” said headteacher Tim Baker, “Children at the school will be able to deposit money with their own savings card and use it at any HSBC branch as long as they have a parent or carer with them.

“The advice our bankers will pass on to younger pupils is how money will impact on their future lives, the benefits of saving and how to avoid going down the road to pay day loans.”

School branch manager Yuxuan Jiang said: “We had real interviews at HSBC. I was a bit nervous at first but it got better. I think a school bank is a good idea because it gives you experience with money and will help you when you get older.”

Marketing manager Fola Kayode added: “I got more confident at the interview although I kept swinging my legs! The only other interview I’ve done was to be a waiter in the school restaurant.”

Floor walker Daisy Thackrah said: “The interview went well. I enjoy maths and I like helping others. Cashier Jessica Nguyen told HSBC she had a lot of experience handling money at school fairs while customer services boss Tuong-Luan added: “I told them what I was like, that I am kind and generous!”

Joe Turner-Wing, Charlton Manor’s gifted and talented co-ordinator, said the school bank would also teach other life skills, taking children further than what can be achieved in the classroom. “These children are academically bright and we try to stretch all our children in different ways across the curriculum.”

Billy Walker, HSBC’s senior customer services officer at the Lewisham branch, said: “The children were amazing, very knowledgeable and knowing where they want to go in life. I’m sure the branch at Charlton Manor will be a big success.”

*The bankers at Charlton Manor will not be paid or receive bonuses.