Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Dartford firefighters tackle St Vincents Road house fire
A SMOKE alarm alerted a Dartford family to the danger when a blaze started in a storage room last night (October 17).
Smoke started coming through the back door of the home in St Vincents Avenue at 10.45pm, causing a mother and her three children to dash out the building and dial 999.
The back door was close to buckling and the fire could have spread into the rest of the property but firefighters controlled the flames within 10 minutes.
Firefighters estimate 70 per cent of items in the outhouse, which was attached to the side of the house, were destroyed and the house was badly smoke damaged.
Dartford watch manager Dave Read said: “The working smoke alarm gave the early warning needed for the family to escape from their smoke filled home.
“We want people to realise if a fire starts in their home they probably won’t burn to death but the smoke is more dangerous - just three breaths of fire smoke can be fatal.”
The firefighters, from Dartford fire station, were at the scene until 11.45pm.