A FAMILY of five has moved into a house that was occupied by protestors to stop it being sold at auction.
Activists from political party Lewisham People Before Profit (LPBF) entered five addresses on February 19 and have been staging a sit-in since then.
They state that rather than selling the properties, the council should be using them to house families on the borough’s housing waiting list.
One such family has now moved into the three-bedroom Angus Street house in New Cross.
Previously a nursery, LPBF have installed a bath, cooker and paid for gas and electricity checks to make the house habitable.
Azad Khan, his wife Nashima Begum, and their three children aged five, three and two months moved in on March 3.
He told News Shopper: “I saw the leaflet and contacted People Before Profit. The flat we were in only had two bedrooms and was over-crowded.
“I am aware of the risk and that we do not have a tenancy agreement, but it is a risk worth taking as this is exactly what we need.
“I’m hopeful the council won’t chuck me out on the street with my young children, but I am aware of the risk.”
He added that he has been on the waiting list since 2008 and felt that he had no choice but to make matters into his own hands.
A Lewisham council spokesman said: “We are very clear that by preventing the sale of these properties, 60 families in real housing need are being let down.
“None of the five squatted properties were purpose-built ‘Council houses’ and they include one building previously used as a nursery. None have been used for housing in the last three years because of their poor condition.
“In light of the illegal occupation and recent developments, we are considering various options on what action to take.”