HUNDREDS of people are expected to attend a noisy protest today over Lewisham Council’s cuts.
The Carnival against Cuts, which has been organised by Lewisham People Before Profit and Lewisham Anti-Cuts Alliance, is taking place across the borough today (February 19) from 11am to noon.
People are being encouraged to gather outside libraries, banks and children’s centres to sing, chant, hand out leaflets and bang saucepans in opposition to the cuts.
Demonstrators will then assemble outside the town hall at 1pm for a march past Lewisham Hospital and Ladywell Leisure Centre, finishing with a rally on the grassy area on the corner of Lewisham High Street and Rennell Street.
Protesters will be at the following locations:
- Bellingham Green Playclub in Randlesdown Road, Bellingham
- Blackheath Library in Blackheath Grove, Blackheath
- Lewisham College in Lewisham Way, Brockley
- Brockley Rise Adult Education Centre in Brockley Rise, Forest Hill
- Convoys Wharf in Grove Street, Deptford
- Barclays Bank in London Road, Forest Hill
- Grove Park Library and Grove Park Playclub in Somertrees Avenue
- Jenner Health Centre in Stanstead Road, Forest Hill
- New Cross Library in New Cross Road
- Barclays Bank in Bromley Road, Downham
- Connexions and Opening Doors in Lewisham High Street
- Clyde Nursery in Alverton Street, Deptford
For a full list, visit carnivalofcuts.org.uk