MPs in south east London have said they’ve been “inundated with complaints” from constituents about the state of Southeastern after last Friday’s infamous stranded trains.

People abandoned trains and walked by electrified tracks after being stuck in crowded, urine-smelling trains for up to five hours along the Lewisham line on February 2.

READ MORE: There will be an investigation as horror stories emerge from people stranded on Lewisham trains

Southeastern has apologised for those stranded and an independent investigator will be appointed to look into what happened, but that hasn’t stopped the phones at local MPs’ offices ringing off the hook.

David Evennett, MP for Bexleyheath and Crayford, said: “I have been inundated with complaints by constituents who are rightly furious with Southeastern.

“I am absolutely appalled by Southeastern’s performance on Friday, which led to many commuters and a number of my constituents suffering. I am pursuing these issues with the company.

“As usual, there was a severe lack of information and communication to those suffering on board, as well as a lack of contingency planning and an apparent lack of concern for the wellbeing of travellers.

“Whilst I welcome the independent inquiry and the additional compensation, this should not have happened in 21st century Britain.”

News Shopper: One passenger gives his account of what happened to him on that train. Photo: Robin Clarke

READ MORE: 'It was downright torture' - One passenger's account of what happened on the infamous Lewisham train stranded for 5 hours

Heidi Alexander, MP for Lewisham East, has said she also had a number of constituents contact her and she, alongside MP for Lewisham Deptford Vicky Foxcroft, are meeting with Southeastern today to discuss what happened.

Clive Efford, MP for Eltham, specifically called out Govia, Southeastern’s owners, in parliament last Thursday and said they should be refused permission to bid for the new franchise later this year.

He said: “My constituents have had to put up with a consistently poor service over a number of years. Govia should not be allowed to carry on like this.”

In a Facebook post, MP for Old Bexley and Sidcup James Brokenshire thanked everyone who contacted him about the incident.

He said: “I know that many people had extremely harrowing journeys home on Friday night. I've been particularly disturbed by the reports of the conditions in some of the overcrowded trains with at least one passenger being put in the humiliating situation of having to relieve themselves on the train because of the lack of access to toilet facilities.

“I will be using all of the emails and reports I receive in my submission to the train companies and will be pursuing redress where appropriate.

“Southeastern have already said that they will be doubling the pay outs under the delay-repay scheme, but in a number of cases this clearly does not go far enough.”

David Statham, managing director at Southeastern, said: “When it snows in our part of the country, we have an enormous challenge to keep the train service running.

“This is because our trains draw power from a ‘third’ conductor rail running along the tracks. When this rail is covered with snow or hit by freezing rain, ice forms and acts as an insulating layer, preventing trains from drawing power.

“Our staff worked around the clock all week to keep trains running in the severe weather, but despite our best efforts to deal with the snow and ice affecting the power supply to our trains, many passengers’ journeys were disrupted.

“We have returned to our normal timetable this week and are working hard to get the trains damaged by the adverse weather back into service quickly. We’d like to thank passengers for their patience and once again apologise sincerely for the disruption they faced last week.”