A kebab shop has been shut down after health inspectors found rotting chicken and a cockroach infestation in its filthy kitchen
Orient Kebab House, in High Road, Leyton, was ordered to close after officers from Waltham Forest council visited the business on Thursday (October 27).
Inspectors described conditions in the shop’s chiller as “atrocious”, after they found chicken that was turning green among items being stored.
There was a hole in the container used to store the chicken, which had been plugged with a dirty plastic bag.
The takeaway’s walls were covered in mould and stagnant water and food debris was found on floors.
Inspectors described conditions in the restaurant as "atrocious"
Both adult and nymph German cockroaches were rife throughout the premises, and were spotted in food preparation areas, on a deep fat fryer and behind a fridge freezer.
Cllr Clyde Loakes, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Environment said: “If you were hungry walking into this establishment then the shocking findings behind the counter would quickly make you lose your appetite.
“It is astonishing that the owners felt this was an unacceptable way to run a food business, with the severe lack of hygiene putting the health of customers at serious risk.
“We will continue to do everything in our power to force businesses like this to clean up their acts.”
A Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Order was granted at Stratford Magistrates Court today, which means that the business must stay closed until its long list of hygiene issues have been addressed.