Five people have been arrested over "car key burglaries" in north Kent.
The offence takes place when someone breaks into a property with the specific aim of removing the occupant’s keys and stealing their vehicle.
Police stopped a car in Orpington yesterday (August 14) and subsequently charged the following with three counts of burglary:
- Thomas Ripley, 20, of Star Lane, St Mary Cray
- Jack Hever, 19, of Priorsford Avenue, Orpington
- Shannon Kelynack, 18, of Leesons Hill, Orpington
- A 16-year-old boy from Northfleet
The four people are accused of burgling two properties in Dartford between August 6 and August 7, and a third in Hartley, Sevenoaks, between August 13 and August 14.
A BMW was reported stolen from one of the Dartford addresses, and two Mercedes cars from the property in Hartley.
- Woman hit by bus in outside cinema North Greenwich
- Keep old of your old pound coins - Lewisham pay and display machines can't accept the new coins
- Long-awaited crossing announcement now expected in the summer
- Sweet justice: Erith drug dealer who hid cocaine in a tub of sweets jailed
- Fundraiser for murdered former Bromley police officer Keith Palmer raises over £700,000
The three adults have all been remanded in custody to reappear before magistrates on August 18.
And the 16-year-old has been remanded in custody until August 16.
Furthermore, a 15-year-old girl from Orpington has been released on bail pending further enquiries until September 30.
Enquiries are ongoing into a number of other similar incidents throughout north Kent.