A pensioner dubbed a ‘granny racer’ brought a smile to the faces of motorists and residents in Orpington.
St Olave’s Grammar School student David Richards was walking along Sevenoaks Road in Orpington yesterday (March 25), when he spotted something unusual.
Mr Richards, 17, says he was surprised when a lady he described as in her seventies drove past on an interesting vehicle.
Spotting the woman around 3.30pm, he said: “It looked like a side car, but one that acted as a motorcycle.
MORE TOP STORIES
- APPEAL: Man missing from Orpington
- Bus driver describes finding man who wasn’t breathing in Bexleyheath and trying to get help
- ‘I don’t want to draw my curtains’: Anger after huge phone mast goes up due to council mistake
- An 18-year-old man is fighting for his life after being stabbed in broad daylight by a gang of youths
- Sudden death of ‘true gentleman’ could lead to heart screenings for Erith students
“I never expected to see that.”
He says the woman, who was not wearing a helmet, had her handbag in the back.
From near Langley Park in Beckenham, the student added: “She was only doing about 20 miles an hour though.
“The engine sounded like a moped, like it was really straining even though she wasn’t going that fast.
“I don’t think she had license plates, but the bike looked a bit customised.”