A father, son and daughter were sentenced today after attacking two people on a Dartford-bound train in front of terrified passengers.

Alan Kinsella, 47, Ben Kinsella, 25, and Amy Kinsella, 20, of Raleigh Close, Erith, were part of an almighty ruckus, rounding on a man and woman before punches were thrown and blood was drawn.

They pleaded guilty to affray before being sentenced at Blackfriars Crown Court.

On April 5 the Kinsellas, who had been out celebrating a family birthday, boarded the 9.56pm Charing Cross to Dartford train at Greenwich.

They took a seat near Jamie Clark and Canadian Cibelle Ribeiro.

Geoffrey Porter, prosecuting, said: "The train was reasonably busy that evening and the Kinsellas were travelling in a family group.

"Over the course of the journey words are exchanged between Amy Kinsella and Miss Ribeiro.

"Amy, who is observed as being clearly drunk by those around her, uses foul language. She says things like 'I f****** like your accent'.

"Mr Clark intervenes and eventually Amy gets out of her seat and the family walks away."

Following this, a further exchange of words sparked a standing confrontation between the family and Miss Ribeiro and Mr Clark.

Mr Porter said: "You will see the violence erupt with punches being thrown by both Ben Kinsella and his father. 

"Eventually it does calm down and, almost as unexpected as it starts, it finishes.

"Mr Clark does suffer an injury, you can see blood coming from his nose."

In July a police appeal, published by the News Shopper, resulted in Alan Kinsella handing himself in at a police station.

Recorder Julian Malins QC said: "I will start with the two younger members of the family, Amy and Ben.

"You were part of an affray which on this occasion was in a public place. There were a number of people there.

"This is a very serious offence. This was a very frightening and, for the male victim, a very damaging experience."

Amy and Ben Kinsella were sentenced to 100 hours of unpaid work and ordered to pay £400 costs and a £60 victim surcharge.

Recorder Malins added: "I am now addressing the father. You should know a good deal better.

"I have looked carefully at the CCTV and I think it is quite right you pleaded guilty to affray.

"Whatever happened later in terms of breaking things up, to start with you were part of what I can only describe as an attack."

Alan Kinsella was sentenced to two months in prison, suspended for 12 months, 50 hours unpaid work and ordered to pay £400 costs and a £80 victim surcharge.