Lewisham hosts government Syrian crisis open day

Tomorrow's event is open to all and starts at 11am

Tomorrow's event is open to all and starts at 11am

First published in News News Shopper: Photograph of the Author by , reporter

Lewisham will tomorrow host a Syrian crisis open day to discuss how the government, individuals and the community can join forces to help the people and those in the region.

Now in its fourth year the Syrian crisis has been described as the worst humanitarian disaster of modern times with the UK government pledging £600 million in aid.

Hosted by the Foreign and Commonwealth office, the open day will give local people the opportunity to discuss what more can be done, ask any questions they have about the UK’s response to the crisis and find out how that £600 million is being used to help.

A government official attending tomorrow’s event at The Stephen Lawrence Centre, Brockmill Road, said: “This exceptional humanitarian crisis requires an exceptional response and the British government remains committed to doing all it can to help the 9.3 million Syrians in need of humanitarian assistance.”

The open day will start at 11am and is open to all.

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:17pm Thu 28 Aug 14

sarfflondonbird says...

No doubt the Sham's and the lawrence lobby's answer will be to ship em all over here to clog up this little Island. No thanks. Got enough over here causing mayhem already.
No doubt the Sham's and the lawrence lobby's answer will be to ship em all over here to clog up this little Island. No thanks. Got enough over here causing mayhem already. sarfflondonbird
  • Score: -5

5:36pm Thu 28 Aug 14

hooper88 says...

Sarfflondonbird I guess people in crisis mean nothing to you not all Syrians are terrorists same way not all English people are biggoted ****. There's plenty of British heading to Syria to fight. They should have had help to stop this sooner rather then waitin til the damage is done as usual.
Sarfflondonbird I guess people in crisis mean nothing to you not all Syrians are terrorists same way not all English people are biggoted ****. There's plenty of British heading to Syria to fight. They should have had help to stop this sooner rather then waitin til the damage is done as usual. hooper88
  • Score: 5

10:27pm Thu 28 Aug 14

sarfflondonbird says...

hooper88 wrote:
Sarfflondonbird I guess people in crisis mean nothing to you not all Syrians are terrorists same way not all English people are biggoted ****. There's plenty of British heading to Syria to fight. They should have had help to stop this sooner rather then waitin til the damage is done as usual.
I do feel sorry for the decent syrians who through no fault of their own are caught up in this unnecessay war going on in their country, but why does it always have to be Britain picking up the pieces literally, why cant we just be left out of conflicts abroad?We are not a nation to be reckoned with nor looked up to anymore, yet we are still put upon by warring nations and expected to shell out millions in aid as well as house and feed those choosing to escape over to here. There are of course other safe havens far nearer, but it is always Britain at the forefront of their minds. As for saying Brits are heading to syria to fight, who's Brits are we talking about? Our army with mostly our kids in the firing line, or the syrians living over here? Not all syrians will be winging their way back will they?I think its about time politicians kept us out of other countries conflicts and put Britain on the sideline along with most other e.u. countries sitting at the back for a change.
[quote][p][bold]hooper88[/bold] wrote: Sarfflondonbird I guess people in crisis mean nothing to you not all Syrians are terrorists same way not all English people are biggoted ****. There's plenty of British heading to Syria to fight. They should have had help to stop this sooner rather then waitin til the damage is done as usual.[/p][/quote]I do feel sorry for the decent syrians who through no fault of their own are caught up in this unnecessay war going on in their country, but why does it always have to be Britain picking up the pieces literally, why cant we just be left out of conflicts abroad?We are not a nation to be reckoned with nor looked up to anymore, yet we are still put upon by warring nations and expected to shell out millions in aid as well as house and feed those choosing to escape over to here. There are of course other safe havens far nearer, but it is always Britain at the forefront of their minds. As for saying Brits are heading to syria to fight, who's Brits are we talking about? Our army with mostly our kids in the firing line, or the syrians living over here? Not all syrians will be winging their way back will they?I think its about time politicians kept us out of other countries conflicts and put Britain on the sideline along with most other e.u. countries sitting at the back for a change. sarfflondonbird
  • Score: -60

10:40pm Thu 28 Aug 14

sarfflondonbird says...

hooper88 wrote:
Sarfflondonbird I guess people in crisis mean nothing to you not all Syrians are terrorists same way not all English people are biggoted ****. There's plenty of British heading to Syria to fight. They should have had help to stop this sooner rather then waitin til the damage is done as usual.
One last point, if it pulls at your heart strings so much, why dont you volunteer to go over there and fight the cause, or will you be giving up your home to house a refugee family? No....thought not.
So what will you be doing for world peace or donating for that matter? No doubt you are one of the bleading heart do gooders sitting at the back giving it the big I AM....! But doing naff all.
[quote][p][bold]hooper88[/bold] wrote: Sarfflondonbird I guess people in crisis mean nothing to you not all Syrians are terrorists same way not all English people are biggoted ****. There's plenty of British heading to Syria to fight. They should have had help to stop this sooner rather then waitin til the damage is done as usual.[/p][/quote]One last point, if it pulls at your heart strings so much, why dont you volunteer to go over there and fight the cause, or will you be giving up your home to house a refugee family? No....thought not. So what will you be doing for world peace or donating for that matter? No doubt you are one of the bleading heart do gooders sitting at the back giving it the big I AM....! But doing naff all. sarfflondonbird
  • Score: -25

12:41am Fri 29 Aug 14

hooper88 says...

sarfflondonbird wrote:
hooper88 wrote:
Sarfflondonbird I guess people in crisis mean nothing to you not all Syrians are terrorists same way not all English people are biggoted ****. There's plenty of British heading to Syria to fight. They should have had help to stop this sooner rather then waitin til the damage is done as usual.
One last point, if it pulls at your heart strings so much, why dont you volunteer to go over there and fight the cause, or will you be giving up your home to house a refugee family? No....thought not.
So what will you be doing for world peace or donating for that matter? No doubt you are one of the bleading heart do gooders sitting at the back giving it the big I AM....! But doing naff all.
Socially responsible attitude there an I'm not that much of a do gooder I wouldn't p*** on you if you were on fire
[quote][p][bold]sarfflondonbird[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hooper88[/bold] wrote: Sarfflondonbird I guess people in crisis mean nothing to you not all Syrians are terrorists same way not all English people are biggoted ****. There's plenty of British heading to Syria to fight. They should have had help to stop this sooner rather then waitin til the damage is done as usual.[/p][/quote]One last point, if it pulls at your heart strings so much, why dont you volunteer to go over there and fight the cause, or will you be giving up your home to house a refugee family? No....thought not. So what will you be doing for world peace or donating for that matter? No doubt you are one of the bleading heart do gooders sitting at the back giving it the big I AM....! But doing naff all.[/p][/quote]Socially responsible attitude there an I'm not that much of a do gooder I wouldn't p*** on you if you were on fire hooper88
  • Score: 15

7:09am Fri 29 Aug 14

sarfflondonbird says...

hooper88 wrote:
sarfflondonbird wrote:
hooper88 wrote:
Sarfflondonbird I guess people in crisis mean nothing to you not all Syrians are terrorists same way not all English people are biggoted ****. There's plenty of British heading to Syria to fight. They should have had help to stop this sooner rather then waitin til the damage is done as usual.
One last point, if it pulls at your heart strings so much, why dont you volunteer to go over there and fight the cause, or will you be giving up your home to house a refugee family? No....thought not.
So what will you be doing for world peace or donating for that matter? No doubt you are one of the bleading heart do gooders sitting at the back giving it the big I AM....! But doing naff all.
Socially responsible attitude there an I'm not that much of a do gooder I wouldn't p*** on you if you were on fire
That's supposing you can p*** anyway....most of the urine seems to extract itself from your mouth alone by reading your posts. Well, ive said my piece, have a good day.
[quote][p][bold]hooper88[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sarfflondonbird[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hooper88[/bold] wrote: Sarfflondonbird I guess people in crisis mean nothing to you not all Syrians are terrorists same way not all English people are biggoted ****. There's plenty of British heading to Syria to fight. They should have had help to stop this sooner rather then waitin til the damage is done as usual.[/p][/quote]One last point, if it pulls at your heart strings so much, why dont you volunteer to go over there and fight the cause, or will you be giving up your home to house a refugee family? No....thought not. So what will you be doing for world peace or donating for that matter? No doubt you are one of the bleading heart do gooders sitting at the back giving it the big I AM....! But doing naff all.[/p][/quote]Socially responsible attitude there an I'm not that much of a do gooder I wouldn't p*** on you if you were on fire[/p][/quote]That's supposing you can p*** anyway....most of the urine seems to extract itself from your mouth alone by reading your posts. Well, ive said my piece, have a good day. sarfflondonbird
  • Score: -5

11:12am Fri 29 Aug 14

Gypo.Joe says...

SLB = ignorance is bliss in 'its' world.
SLB = ignorance is bliss in 'its' world. Gypo.Joe
  • Score: 30

6:33pm Sat 30 Aug 14

sarfflondonbird says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
SLB = ignorance is bliss in 'its' world.
Been vote interferring again? You know you just come across as a nerd, why bother spending all your time vote rigging? YOU TOOL.
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: SLB = ignorance is bliss in 'its' world.[/p][/quote]Been vote interferring again? You know you just come across as a nerd, why bother spending all your time vote rigging? YOU TOOL. sarfflondonbird
  • Score: -15

5:28pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Gypo.Joe says...

sarfflondonbird wrote:
Gypo.Joe wrote:
SLB = ignorance is bliss in 'its' world.
Been vote interferring again? You know you just come across as a nerd, why bother spending all your time vote rigging? YOU TOOL.
You're only jealous you cant rig the votes likes wots I can.

You know all about 'tools' you old sausage jockey.

Love you dearest, Joe boi. xx
[quote][p][bold]sarfflondonbird[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: SLB = ignorance is bliss in 'its' world.[/p][/quote]Been vote interferring again? You know you just come across as a nerd, why bother spending all your time vote rigging? YOU TOOL.[/p][/quote]You're only jealous you cant rig the votes likes wots I can. You know all about 'tools' you old sausage jockey. Love you dearest, Joe boi. xx Gypo.Joe
  • Score: 10

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree