Twelve children and six adults needed medical treatment after breathing in potentially deadly carbon monoxide gas last night.

Firefighters were called to a carbon monoxide alarm sounding at a house in Merbury Close at 11.28pm on August 19.

Seven children and two adults were evacuated from the property by police before the arrival of the brigade.

A further four adults and five children left neighbouring properties. All were suffering possible effects of carbon monoxide poisoning and were treated at the scene by the London Ambulance Service.

Meanwhile, firefighters wearing breathing apparatus ventilated four properties until the carbon monoxide readings were no longer at a high level.

Carbon monoxide is a silent killer that causes at least 50 deaths a year and the brigade recommends all homes are fitted with a carbon monoxide alarm.