A Bromley man has been jailed for four years after a “brutal attack” with a golf club on a teenage boy.

Alfie Barrett, 23, of Main Road, St Mary Cray, was sentenced at Blackfriars Crown Court on August 15 after pleading guilty at an earlier hearing to GBH with intent.

The court heard how at St Mary Cray train station in November last year Barrett walked up to the victim, a 17-year-old, of Bromley, from behind and struck him on the head with the golf club.

He tried to escape but was hit repeatedly and fell to the station floor outside the booking hall, where Barrett kicked him as he lay semi-conscious.

British Transport Police (BTP) said the attack was so severe it left the golf club in two pieces, with the head coming away from the pole.

Detective Constable Steve Best, who led the investigation, said: “This was a brutal and sustained attack that left a young man with nasty injuries.

“The victim arrived at the station on train from Bickley on November 20 at about 7pm and walked to the booking hall to check train times.

“Whilst doing so, Barrett walked up behind him and struck him on the head with the golf club.

DC Best continued: “When the weapon was recovered by officers, it was in two pieces. This demonstrates the extreme force Barrett used to attack his defenceless victim.”

After the incident Barrett fled and left the victim suffering from a broken elbow, a deep cut to his head, and extensive bruising to his torso.

Off-duty police and members of the public gave first aid before an ambulance took the victim to hospital.

BTP officers later found the broken golf club discarded on the railway line close-by.

Barrett contacted police within days of the attack and made arrangements to hand himself in. He was arrested on November 28 after walking into Ebury Bridge police station, where he was charged with GBH.

DC Best also thanked eyewitnesses who helped with investigations and added: “This sentence shows the seriousness of the assault and the lasting impact it had on the young victim.”