Chislehurst-based UKIP MEP Janice Atkinson has said sorry for calling a Thai constituent a 'ting tong'.
The South East member was recorded by the BBC making the remark about Fa Munday, who she had met while in Kent.
Mrs Atkinson is reported to have said: "We've got Fa who's, I dunno, she's a ting tong from somewhere".
Fa and her husband Vincent, both supporters of the party, have been left shocked by the comments, while Mrs Atkinson has apologised for her choice of words.
Last week News Shopper talked to the UKIP welfare policy author about her intention to stand for Parliament in 2015.
Speaking on Friday (Aug 15), Mrs Atkinson mentioned a past incident where she had put her middle finger up to three Green Party campaigners.
- Goldsmiths professor wins diversity award
- Erith woman's anger at Wetherspoon's 'lack of compassion' following father's bathroom fall
- Lewisham Islamic Centre joins wife of British hostage in IS release plea
- UPDATE: Woman in serious condition following Hither Green road traffic accident
- Six fire engines fight to tackle third Waste4Fuel blaze in St Paul's Cray this week