Sexual offences against children in Bexley and Greenwich rise by a quarter

Sexual offences against children in Bexley rise by a quarter

Mary Trevillion, clinical director at Family Matters, says there is now greater awareness

First published in News
Last updated
News Shopper: Photograph of the Author by , reporter

The number of sexual offences against children in Greenwich and Bexley has increased by around a 25 per cent.

A report by the government's Police and Crime Committee show there were 54 crimes of this nature committed between April 2012 and April last year.

However in a nine-month period, between last April and December there were 69 offences of this type meaning the number has increased by 15 cases in a smaller time frame.

The committee’s deputy chairwoman London Assembly Member Caroline Pidgeon said: "While the number of allegations of child rape and sexual assault make  horrendous reading it is encouraging that more people now feel confident enough to report these horrific crimes to the police.

"When they do so the Met must have sufficient resources in place to ensure robust enquiries regardless of whether the case involved a celebrity many years ago or a neighbour or relative just yesterday."

Earlier this year News Shopper reported how nearly a third of reported rapes of adults in the borough were not recorded as crimes by the Met last year and so were not investigated.

Mary Trevillion is the clinical director at Family Matters, a charity which helps victims of rape and sexual abuse across Bexley and Kent.

She told News Shopper: “It’s more a case of people feeling freer to report these things now.

“Teachers and others recognise the signs of children suffering sexual abuse and are on the look out for this kind of thing.

“There has also been an increase in public awareness from celebrities such as Jimmy Savile.

“We know still not everyone reports though.

“It’s a long, drawn-out process and it destroys a lot of families especially when it’s a family member.”

Visit london.gov.uk

 

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:15pm Tue 12 Aug 14

Lady Boy Erastusia says...

I hope the council acts properly on this. Despite a very poor ofsted report two years ago on children's services, much still needs to be done. The chief executive tried to gloss over things but his special safeguarding board was recently slammed. Shame on you Mr tuckley
I hope the council acts properly on this. Despite a very poor ofsted report two years ago on children's services, much still needs to be done. The chief executive tried to gloss over things but his special safeguarding board was recently slammed. Shame on you Mr tuckley Lady Boy Erastusia
  • Score: 5

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree