Indie band We Are Scientists performed a secret gig in Greenwich’s Peninsula Square yesterday to celebrate the opening of Meantime’s new BeerBox.
The trio rocked out in a fun hour-long set which included plenty of jokes between the band and singer Keith Murray climbing off the stage and precariously perching a clearly unsuitable canopy.
An excited impromptu crowd - which included the likes of The Libertines drummer Gary Powell - were kept well hydrated by the Greenwich brewers’ concoctions, including the new Peninsula Pale Ale.
The two-story BeerBox is a new pop-up concept in the square outside the O2 – yards from North Greenwich tube station - and was created from customised shipping containers.
Meantime has signed up to be at the site for three years and the BeerBox will be open year-round with a fine roof garden, serving the company’s fine craft beers.
An exclusive Peninsula Pale Ale is dispensed using the company’s state of the art Brewery Fresh tank beer concept, whereby the beer is served straight from a tank installed under the bar which has come directly from the brewery, virtually on the doorstep.
Meantime’s chief executive Nick Miller said: “Meantime aims to innovate and pioneer with its craft beers and have looked at many options to bring its range to the drinker.
“With this in mind, we wanted to create an interesting space and experience for our drinkers where they can enjoy modern craft beer in an entertaining environment.
“The BeerBox provides us with the opportunity to educate consumers about our craft in a fantastic location just minutes from our brewery.”
More music news:
- PICTURED: Superbike champ and singer, James Toseland, films video in Belvedere newsagents
- Madonna will fly back into Greenwich in December - but let's hope the cape stays at home
- The Strokes to headline British Summer Time at Hyde Park
- VIDEO: The fall that broke the internet: Madonna takes a tumble off stage at Brit Awards 2015
- Ultimate playlist: Are these the best 40 songs to get you through the working day?
More food and drink news: