Lighting strike family in Welling handed lifeline by local Morrisons

Left to right: store manager Richard Turvey, 38, Aston Stacey, 13, Ruby the dog, Sharon Stacey, 41, Elsie Stacey, 5, and Morrisons community champion Julie Devonport, 43.

Left to right: store manager Richard Turvey, 38, Aston Stacey, 13, Ruby the dog, Sharon Stacey, 41, Elsie Stacey, 5, and Morrisons community champion Julie Devonport, 43.

First published in News
Last updated
News Shopper: Photograph of the Author by , reporter

A family-of-three who had to flee their Welling home after a bolt of lightning set it on fire have been handed a lifeline by their local supermarket.

The Stacey family home in Springfield road was hit at around 3am on July 18 by a bolt which struck the TV aerial, shot down the cable and set a dining room cabinet ablaze.

Forty per cent of the downstairs at the three bedroom, semi-detached house in Springfield Road was destroyed by fire leaving Sharon Stacey, 41, 13-year-old son Aston, daughter Elsie, five, and dog Ruby all homeless.

But the Morrisons store round the corner in Welling High Street has chipped in with a gift of £150 vouchers to help the family, living temporarily in Greenhithe, get back on their feet.

Miss Stacey told News Shopper: "I’m very grateful for it and I didn’t expect it.

"It’s been a very traumatic time I must admit.

"People have been buying me shopping to help me get through because it’s been one thing after another to be honest.

News Shopper:

Sharon with Julie Devonport. 

"I’m in Morrisons every day normally because the house is just opposite.

"I know a few people in there through friends or just by going in there myself and I really appreciate what they are doing."

Julie Devonport is community champion at Welling Morrisons.

She said: "Sharon’s been a customer since we opened in 2009 and she’s always coming in.

"She’s made some friends here and we’re all concerned about what has happened to her.

"We came in in the morning and all our phone lines were down because that was how bad the storm was.

"It’s just unfortunate that it’s happened to her and we wanted to help out."

Benmore’s Beds in Bellegrove Road have also donated three mattresses to the Stacey family, who lost the ones they had to smoke damage.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:08pm Tue 5 Aug 14

danm5577 says...

Great to see some great acts of kindness about!
hope they get their home sorted.
Great to see some great acts of kindness about! hope they get their home sorted. danm5577
  • Score: 13

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree