British rock band The Levellers have been asked not to perform at the On Blackheath festival at the request of hell-raising anarchist Ian Bone in a protest of the event.
Mr Bone, infamously dubbed ‘the most dangerous man in Britain’ by The Sunday People, believes celebrity chefs attending the posh food event in Lewisham should instead donate their food to the poor.
The activist also said the festival, which will star Grace Jones, Aloe Blacc and Massive Attack, should be a free event for the public.
Mr Bone said: “The poor are being socially cleansed out of London by gentrification of which Blackheath is an example.”
Mr Bone also said he plans to run a pop-up food bank by the entrance of the festival in the hope people will give food to those in need instead of seeing the bands.
In a reply to Mr Bone’s request, the Levellers – famous for songs such as Fifteen Years and One Way, wrote to him saying the issue had been a ‘bone of contention’ for the band who had already agreed to do to the high-profile gig.
‘We have decided to donate the proceeds of our guest list from our own festival to the Lewisham food bank in an attempt to show some good will to the people of the area. Sometimes these things pass us by and we are disappointed that we missed this’, said the band.
Class War, an anarchist publication and organisation set up by Mr Bone, have even designed their own spoof posters for the two-day event starting on September 13, which also features chef and Sunday Times food columnist Gizzi Erskine.
The posters read: ‘A fenced off foodie fest on what’s supposed to be ‘common land’ in ever such close proximity to communities in Deptford, Peckham and the like that are getting screwed over by ongoing austerity – well if that’s not a provocation, I don’t know what the f*** is!’.
- Train strike's off but 'major engineering' works are still in place - here's what you need to know
- UPDATE Police issue fresh appeal to find 'vulnerable' missing girl, thought to be with man three times her age
- UPDATE: Teenage girl who disappeared from Sidcup with 51-year-old man escaped out of window, police say
- UPDATE: New Eltham travellers evicted from former Gaelic football pitch
- Bexley shops warned after £50 note scam