Armed police swooped on a flat in South Darenth following reports of a stabbing and a woman has been rushed to hospital.

The siege began at The Mill in Esparto Way at around 10.30am this morning (July 28).

Resident Paul Greenlaw, 32, said: "I had no idea what was going on - I heard a the ambulance and police cars pull up and the police were telling us we should stay in.

"Apparent a woman has been attacked, there's loads of rumours flying around."

Darren Jones, 29, also of Esparto Way added: "I just came in from the shop and all this was going on.

"I've heard someone's been stabbed.

"It's normally really quiet round here, nothing like this happens."

A spokesman for Kent Police told News Shopper: "Police are investigating a report of an assault earlier today in Esparto Way in South Darenth.

"Officers are currently at the scene attempting to make contact with a man in an address there.​"

News Shopper:

A South East Coast Ambulance spokesman said: "We were called just after 10.30am this morning to reports of an assault.

"We alerted the air ambulance and sent a car and an ambulance.

"We took a woman to King's College Hospital in Denmark Hill."

There are currently no details of her injuries.

Esparto Way remained closed off until 2.20pm and police officers are now in the flat where the assault is believed to have taken place.

Sophie, aged 11, said: "I was on my way back from the park and saw the helicopter land on Heathside but we don't really know what's happened."

Esparto Way residents have been stuck outside of their homes for almost two hours.

One resident, who did not want to be named, said: "I've been to Bluewater  and I've come back to all this going on.

"We live in the houses next to the block where it's apparently happened, I know almost everybody in that block - I'm shocked, I just don't know what's true and what's not." 

Luke Willoughby ‏tweeted:  "@Kent999s south darenth, the mill, when are the premises going to be open again. I live on the block and can't get out #gotogowork."

Did you see what happened? Call the newsdesk on 01689 885 721.