Sevenoaks and Swanley MP Michael Fallon has spoken to News Shopper about his new appointment as Defence Secretary.
The former Minister of State for Business and Energy replaced Philip Hammond in the role on July 15.
The appointment came as part of a reshuffle which saw former cabinet stalwarts such as Ken Clarke and Michael Gove ousted.
Mr Fallon told News Shopper: "To serve as Defence Secretary is an incredible responsibility and great privilege.
“My job is to make sure our magnificent Armed Forces have the equipment and support they need to keep Britain safe."
Mr Fallon was born in Scotland in 1952 and educated at Epsom College before studying at St Andrews University in Scotland.
He is married with two children and lives in Sundridge, near Sevenoaks.
- Police name victims of Camber Sands beach tragedy as young men from Plumstead, Welling and Erith
- Woolwich drug dealer caught after pooing himself and revealing thousands of pounds worth of heroin
- 'They couldn't swim': Dad of Erith brothers who died at Camber Sands asks why there was no lifeguard
- South Darenth man jailed after trying to sell more than £200,000 worth of cocaine
- Man hunt for three men wanted in connection with cash machine tampering in Northfleet