Sevenoaks and Swanley MP Michael Fallon has spoken to News Shopper about his new appointment as Defence Secretary.
The former Minister of State for Business and Energy replaced Philip Hammond in the role on July 15.
The appointment came as part of a reshuffle which saw former cabinet stalwarts such as Ken Clarke and Michael Gove ousted.
Mr Fallon told News Shopper: "To serve as Defence Secretary is an incredible responsibility and great privilege.
“My job is to make sure our magnificent Armed Forces have the equipment and support they need to keep Britain safe."
Mr Fallon was born in Scotland in 1952 and educated at Epsom College before studying at St Andrews University in Scotland.
He is married with two children and lives in Sundridge, near Sevenoaks.
- Man stabbed in the back in alleged robbery in Anerley
- Can you help? Missing teen and her baby thought to be in Penge
- Man charged after series of garages are broken into in one night
- Cuddling up to Nicole Kidman and working with Werner Herzog: Petts Wood actor John Wark's job is not so bad
- 8 things you need to know about your General Election candidates: Lewisham East