Gravesend man rushed to hospital with burns after lightning sets his house ablaze

News Shopper: The storm ravaged London and north Kent. Here is a picture of lightning in Bean. Photo by Kerry Luck The storm ravaged London and north Kent. Here is a picture of lightning in Bean. Photo by Kerry Luck

A Gravesend man suffered burns in the early hours of this morning after lightning set his loft on fire.

Roy Thomas, his partner Tracey Shelton and her 15-year-old son Toby were asleep at their home in Calderwood when they were woken by a massive bang.

The fire alarm sounded and the family tried to find the source of the flames.

Mr Thomas said: “We started to feel our way downstairs in the darkness as all the power was out and Tracey smelt smoke, which we thought was coming from the TV.

“Fortunately, I looked up at the loft hatch and could see a glowing light.

“We phoned the fire service and I grabbed a ladder to investigate.

“As soon as I opened the hatch I could see the flames roaring away but the whole space was full of smoke.

“I tried to smother the flames with towels and bedding but it was too hot and I burnt my hands."

He persisted despite the injuries he suffered.

Mr Thomas said: “By this time Tracey and her son were passing wet towels and buckets of water to me, which I threw over the fire but it kept flaring back up.

“Thankfully, the last wet beach towel I threw on it managed to smother the flames and the firefighters were there."

The fire crews arrived within minutes and Mr Thomas was rushed to hospital for burns treatment. 

He said: “My hands were numb at the time but are quite painful now and I think the shock is beginning to set in.

“While it’s only the loft that was damaged by the fire, the lightning has blown all the electrics, several TV’s were destroyed and the house alarm completely fried.”

Thames-side crew manager Rob Parkin said: “The 999 call came through at around 3.20am but the family’s quick thinking really helped what could have been a potentially serious roof fire.

“One of the reasons fires can spread so quickly is the clutter people keep in their homes.

“Fortunately, this family had a clear loft space and their actions really did make a difference to the severity of the fire. I’d suggest everyone makes time to get rid of unwanted items in their home and has a practiced fire escape plan, so that you know what to do in the event of a fire.

“Working smoke alarms are also invaluable in providing an early warning.”

 

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:01pm Fri 18 Jul 14

RVD420 says...

sounds like the fella was a brain surgeon, opening the hatch while aware there was fire behind it
sounds like the fella was a brain surgeon, opening the hatch while aware there was fire behind it RVD420
  • Score: 2

1:15pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Guruguru says...

Very dangerous moment was for family
Very dangerous moment was for family Guruguru
  • Score: 5

8:41pm Sun 20 Jul 14

cherithporter says...

Very extreme to cause a fire.
Very extreme to cause a fire. cherithporter
  • Score: 0
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree