intu Bromley has been given the go-ahead to build a five-screen cinema on its roof.
As News Shopper revealed in March, the centre is planning a £24 million revamp which will also see new restaurants and a garden terrace built in Queen’s Gardens.
This phase of the project will begin in October, ready for a spring 2015 opening.
The centre hopes to have the 220-seat cinema, complete with waiter service, up and running by 2017.
Bromley Council’s development control committee voted in favour of the cinema proposals by nine to two at a meeting on Wednesday night.
Marc Myers, general manager of intu Bromley, said: "We are absolutely delighted that we now have the opportunity to develop our plans.
“Bromley absolutely deserves to have this type of development and it will help support not only the centre but the wider town.
“Other towns and retail locations are gearing up for their own developments and this will help us maintain our place as the destination of choice for our existing and potential customers.”
- New Cross lorry crash: Police appeal for information following fatal collision
- M25 killer Kenneth Noye wins High Court open prison appeal
- Dartford Crossing faces overnight closures again next week
- Former Stephen Lawrence murder suspect from Eltham jailed over drugs plot
- King's Troop soldier taken to hospital with serious injuries after being 'thrown off her horse' in Charlton Park