Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Free school meals for more Bexley kids
Every Bexley child in reception classes 1 and 2 will be entitled to a free school meal from September.
The scheme will save parents more than £400 a year and should encourage even more kids to have a school dinner.
Bexley Council hopes the free meals will help boost pupils’ concentration and is encouraging parents to contact the schools to take up the offer.
Organisers are also aiming to instil healthy habits in the children which will remain throughout their lives.
Councillor John Fuller, cabinet member for education, said: "Gone are the days when school dinners used to be the butt of so many jokes.
"Nowadays school meals are delicious and nutritious. I'd urge parents and carers of Key Stage 1 children to take up this fantastic offer.
"It's a chance to save money and make sure your children get a meal during their school day."
Visit bexley.gov.uk/schools for more information.
- Pet of the Day: Roxy the Staffie turning her breed's stereotype around
- VIDEO: Lightning bolt rips through Welling house leaving family homeless
- Woolwich buildings reopened after 'suspect package' declared safe
- UPDATE: Man, 21, hit by car in Catford was 'arguing with his girlfriend' just before accident
- Angry parents protest against Gravesend headteacher, while 25 teachers leave school