Two rugby pals from Beckenham are attempting to cycle from Canada to Mexico in just 21 days.
Beckenham Rugby Football Club’s Tim Green and Kevin Smith, 49 and 55, are pedalling down America’s Pacific coast on a 2,000-mile journey, having set off from Vancouver on June 13.
Now (July 3) on day 18 of the trip, the duo, who described themselves as “slight portly, middle-aged blokes,” are racing to the finish line in Tijuana, arriving close to when Mr Green will also celebrate his 50th birthday.
Along the way the pair has travelled through Astoria, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, and San Diego – very different to the roads of East Sussex where they trained for the adventure.
Back home friend Sue Smith says they are “in incredibly good spirits,” despite encountering problems with Achilles tendons and a bike “literally splitting in two”.
She added they have “met some incredible people along the way” and added so far £9,200 has been raised for charity.
Mr Green and Mr Smith self-funded the trip and with no back up vehicles are carrying all their own provisions. They are supporting a number of organisations. Click here to donate.
- Northfleet pervert jailed after vigilante group tricks him to meet fake schoolgirl for sex
- Terror arrest after 'bomb' alert at North Greenwich station
- Family of Eltham parliament engineer who died from asbestos-related cancer launch legal battle
- Murder accused 'may have cooked and eaten parts of' Greenhithe police officer
- UPDATE: Boy taken to hospital after Chislehurst crash