The family of Sydenham crash victim Aaron Mortley were finally given some closure after an inquest today (June 26).
The father-of-one, 25, died after crashing his car into a wall in Mayow Road on August 25 last year following a night out with friends.
At Southwark Coroner’s Court this morning it was found that Mr Mortley had high levels of alcohol in his system and was driving over the 30mph speed limit at the time of his death.
His mother, Claudette Mortley, from Brockley, attended proceedings and said the inquest meant questions were laid to rest but added she is still grieving after the loss of her son.
In a final public tribute, she told News Shopper: "Aaron’s life was a beautiful example of what life could be. He was a much loved son - intelligent, caring, and considerate.
"He was young, and he’s left behind his little girl who meant the world to him.
"For a brief moment in time I was able to see the essence of what he would become as a man."
The court heard how Mr Mortley had been at a friend’s house the night before the accident, where a witness described how he had smoked cannabis and had drunk two glasses of vodka and Coke.
Afterwards he and a group went to a club and shared two bottles of champagne, before leaving at around 4am.
Mr Mortley drove the revellers back and then made his way home alone during heavy rain.
He was found unconscious at 6.23am and, despite treatment from the London Ambulance Service, was pronounced dead at the scene.
A post mortem found Mr Mortley died of multiple injuries. The coroner, Lorna Tagliavini, gave a final verdict of a road traffic accident and said: "I’m satisfied that he was driving in excess of the speed limit.
"I also find at the time he was in excess of the alcohol driving limit – high levels were recorded."
Read more tributes paid to Mr Mortley here.
- QUIZ: Ukip or Mel Gibson - can you tell who said these outrageous comments?
- Bank holiday washout? Rain to hit London over Easter
- Jon Ronson and Victoria Hislop join first Greenwich Book Festival
- Government starts court action against Greenwich Council over Greenwich Time
- Fraudulent north Kent men denied British taxpayers £11.7 million