Lewisham’s nightlife is looking up.
With the opening of the Street Feast market on Fridays and Saturdays and the attractive new Skye nightclub opening on the same weekend, there is reason to visit the town after dark.
Skye is a cool, mid-sized nightclub aimed at 18 to 35-year-olds, with three bars and DJs playing everything from house to R and B, anthems and club bangers.
At the moment, it is open to over 21s on Saturdays from 10pm to 3am, but manager John Fortune, 24, hopes to start midweek student nights soon.
He said: “We are hoping this could help create the start of a new nightlife in Lewisham and get it buzzing with activity, especially as Lewisham is currently ring-fenced for a full government regeneration program.”
He added: “We are not trying to compete with West End bars but we wish to maintain a certain standard and ensure a good atmosphere for everyone.”
Safety is paramount for John, who said there are eight security staff and a comprehensive CCTV system.
He said: “Unfortunately Lewisham does have some negative connotations attached to it, although those who know the area know that the disconnect between people’s beliefs of the area and the actual area itself, is vast – especially in the High Street which is, of course, only a stone’s throw from Europe's biggest police station.”
Get two for one drinks this Saturday by going to facebook.com/skyenightclub and printing the flyer.
- 14 gorgeous nature photos showing how beautiful SE London and north Kent can be
- 7 of the best book events happening in south London in January and February
- VIDEO: Auschwitz survivors tell their stories on Holocaust Memorial Day
- Make Love in the Archives in Greenwich top of your Valentine’s Day plans
- PICTURED: Rare Winston Churchill artefacts on display in north Kent to mark 50 years since his death