The A2 was closed in both directions after a van caught fire in Blackfen this afternoon.
The incident happened at around 3.25pm and one fire engine from Eltham attended the scene on the westbound carriageway by the Danson Interchange.
Traffic was stopped on both sides while firefighters brought the blaze under control.
The van had a gas canister on board which is why police established a hazard zone across both carriegeways.
Fire crews managed to cool the cylinder down to prevent it from exploding and after an hour and a half the fire was out by 4.48pm.
Both carriegeways are now open again though congestion was back to Dartford Heath westbound at its worst.
It is not yet clear what started the fire.
Westwood Lane at the junction with Groombridge Close and Blackfen Road were also temporarily closed to traffic immediately following the incident.
Follow the incident on our traffic feed.
Pic from Twitter by @nocturnalLee
Image by Transport for London.
Pic from Twitter by @Ben_Geoghegan
Pic from Twitter by @juggs_xx
- 'They couldn't swim': Dad of Slade Green brothers who died at Camber Sands asks why there was no lifeguard
- Woolwich drug dealer caught after pooing himself and revealing thousands of pounds worth of heroin
- Suspected brothel raided by police in Dartford
- Firefighters battle house fire involving gas cylinder in Bromley
- FREE martial arts training in Woolwich with Bollywood blockbuster