Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Plant doctor's top 5 hanging basket tips
5:16pm Monday 16th June 2014 in News
Plant doctor Mark Reeve, of Coolings Garden Centre, gives his top 5 tips for beautiful hanging baskets and containers.
1. Use only top quality plants and compost. You will find cutting corners gives poor results.
2. Use water retaining gel in the compost to reduce watering and prevent the compost drying out quickly.
3. Feed plants every week around 6 weeks after planting. Most compost only has a limited amount of feed in it. You will get much better results if you use a high potash fertiliser.
4. Decide if your container is in sun or shade as this will determine what plants are suitable. Staff at reputable garden centres will be able to give you the correct advice.
5. Remove faded blooms to prolong your displays. Water in the morning or evening (or both when hot!) so that the water is not wasted through evaporation.
Go to coolings.co.uk
- VIDEO: Keston boxing champion David Haye presents the weather - for dogs
- Garden centre remembers the war
- VOTE: Should it be illegal to ever leave a dog alone in a car?
- Expert tips for attracting birds, bees and butterflies to your garden
- 16 cosy, weird and cool sheds: Send us your photos of unusual sheds
Comments are closed on this article.