A Lee chemistry teacher has proved he is hotter than a Bunson burner’s flame after winning the Swiss National Dance Championships.
Colfe’s School teacher DeLarry Sawyer scooped the prize for his sizzling moves in the Cuban and Latin sections of the championships with his Swiss partner.
The pair, who have been dancing together for just five months, beat off competition from 15 other couples to gain the award on May 24.
Mr Sawyer, who has taught at Colfe’s for two years and won the European Open Salsa Semi Professional Championship last year, said: “It was fantastic to take my dancing to a whole new level especially as this competition took a great deal of effort; we were constantly dancing for two hours in the various heats to get through to the finals in our three categories.
“My Chemistry students and the school have been extremely supportive; I just hope it has inspired people to know that hard work, commitment and a real passion can drive you to great achievement.”
Mr Sawyer runs a dance club at the school based in Horn Park Lane.
- UPDATE: One still in critical condition after car ploughs into pedestrians before smashing into wall in Bellingham crash
- Prostitutes warned and two people arrested after police carry out brothel raids overnight
- Tougher rules on using mobile phones while driving come into force this week
- WEATHER: Thunderstorms and heavy rain to hit London as spring approaches
- Isis poses 'greatest terror threat since IRA London bombing campaign 40 years ago'