The people of Bromley are being warned not to wash raw chicken.
Bromley Council and the Food Standards Agency (FSA) hope to raise awareness of food bacteria campylobacter, often found in raw chicken, as part of food safety week.
Campylobacter is the most common cause of food poisoning in the UK, responsible for more cases than salmonella, E. coli and listeria combined.
Symptoms include abdominal pain, severe diarrhoea and sometimes vomiting - particularly severe in small children and older people. At its worst, campylobacter can kill.
One of the main ways campylobacter is spread is through cross-contamination.
Research by the FSA shows many people wash raw poultry before cooking it. Washing raw chicken can actually spread campylobacter by splashing it onto hands, work surfaces, clothing and cooking equipment.
The bacteria will be destroyed by cooking but where left behind in sinks and on work tops, it could be transferred to other foods and make people ill.
Food safety week is next week. Click here for more.
- Bus driver describes finding man who wasn’t breathing in Bexleyheath and trying to get help
- ‘I don’t want to draw my curtains’: Anger after huge phone mast goes up due to council mistake
- An 18-year-old man is fighting for his life after being stabbed in broad daylight by a gang of youths
- Sudden death of ‘true gentleman’ could lead to heart screenings for Erith students
- Listen up, audio boffins think they've got the perfect way to put you in a good mood on train journeys