Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Catford's Ben Elton pays tribute to Rik Mayall
Catford’s Ben Elton has paid tribute to his good friend and comedy collaborator Rik Mayall.
Mayall, 56, died yesterday at his home in Barnes. It is not yet known what caused his unexpected death, though it is not thought to be suspicious.
The madcap comic was a leader in the alternative comedy movement and shot to fame as the poetry writing anarchist Rick in The Young Ones before going on to star in well-loved shows such as Bottom, Blackadder and the New Statesman.
Ben Elton, who was born in Catford, met Mayall at university and went on to write The Young Ones with him.
In a statement, he said: “I owe him so much, he changed my life utterly when he asked me to co-write The Young Ones with him and he was with me on the day I met my wife. He always made me cry with laughter, now he's just made me cry.”
- Happiness captured to create theatre show in Deptford
- Taming of the Shrew revival in Brockley
- Hollywood icon Michael York talks about acting, illness and Bromley Little Theatre's fight for survival
- Dawn French adds extra Bromley date
- Avengers star Diana Rigg leads Cutty Sark's new theatre programme
Comments are closed on this article.