Eltham’s a busy, bustling place but it has plenty of beauty too. Let’s imagine you’ve just arrived there and you’ve got an hour spare – what should you see, where should you go and what should you do?
Vibe’s picked out five things. The list is very much a snapshot, so feel free to tell us your picks by leaving a comment below or tweeting @JimNewsShopper.
Well Hall Pleasaunce and the Tudor Barn restaurant
Just across the road from the station is a beautiful, painstakingly kept public garden. It’s the perfect place to wander around or sit for a few minutes’ peace. There’s a kids’ playground nearby and on one side is the Tudor Barn – perfect for a spot of refreshment.
The childhood home of Henry VIII is now one of the finest examples of 1930s Art Deco architecture in the country. There’s a grand medieval Great Hall, an indulgent gold-plated bathroom and gorgeous gardens.
Shop til you drop
Eltham’s long High Street and centre is one of the best in south east London, where you can get your hands on just about anything.
Hole in one
Enjoy a round at the Royal Blackheath Golf Club, arguably the oldest golf club in the world. Despite its name, it’s in Eltham.
Thanks to @notmansmudge
Admire the cute architecture and streets of the Progress Estate. It consists of housing built for the workers at Woolwich Arsenal during the First World War. Next year marks its centenary.
Next week we're in Nuxley Village. Send your tips to email@example.com
- What's on this weekend: days out and shows in south east London and north Kent on May 30 and 31
- Grammy nominated reggae singer Tippa Irie to headline Lewisham People's Day
- Outdoor fun returns to streets and parks at Greenwich and Docklands International Festival
- 5 reasons to go out this week: what's on in north kent and south east London
- What's on this bank holiday weekend (May 22 to 25): 12 things to see and do in south east London and north Kent