An Erith-based scrap metal company has been raided by police over a suspected £30,000 insurance scam.
News Shopper went along for the ride as six associates of City Scrap London were arrested, with officers swooping on the company’s headquarters in Maypole Crescent and on a terraced house in Rochdale Road, Abbey Wood.
All the identified targets for the operation were apprehended and officers are now investigating 45 suspected offences, including making a false statement to obtain insurance, perverting the course of justice and making a false statement to obtain a scrap metal licence.
Four men and two women aged between 30 and 50 have been released on bail until July 26 following the morning raid on May 22, during which a can of CS spray was also seized.
Operation leader Special Constable Matt McInally said: "City Scrap London Limited has been issued with a closure notice and has now ceased trading. It no longer exists as a business.
City Scrap is no longer in business.
“This is due to prolonged failure to comply with relevant legislation under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013.
“Their licence application was rejected by Bexley Council and the period for appeal has now passed and therefore their licence is revoked in full.”
Operation Furnace was carried out in support of Met-wide Operation Ferrous which targets metal thieves and rogue dealers.
Chief Superintendent Sultan Taylor said: "The Met is driving home the message to metal thieves and non compliant scrap dealers that metal theft and unlawful metal dealing will not be tolerated.
"Metal theft is a huge, cross-industry problem which not only has a massive impact on the economy, but also communities across the UK.
"We are determined to take action and will make life difficult for those thieves and dealers who seek to profit from criminal behaviour.”
- Four people, including police officer, killed as pedestrians are mowed down in Westminster terror attack
- Westminster terror attack as it happened: Four people dead after car hits pedestrians, police officer stabbed and attacker shot
- Westminster terror attack: Killed police officer named as Keith Palmer
- Prime Minister condemns ‘sick and depraved’ terrorist attack
- IN PICTURES: Terror at Houses of Parliament as knifeman kills police officer and mows down pedestrians