Greenwich woman rescued from flat fire after neighbour smells burning

Greenwich woman rescued from flat fire after neighbour smells burning

Greenwich woman rescued from flat fire after neighbour smells burning

First published in News News Shopper: Photograph of the Author by , deputy news editor

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus rescued an east Greenwich woman from a flat fire yesterday (June 2), after her neighbour raised the alarm.

Crews were called to Armitage Road at 5.36pm where they found the woman still inside. She was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation by the London Ambulance Service.

The alarm was raised by a neighbour who smelt burning. A smoke alarm was in the flat, but had no battery inside.

Fire crews from Greenwich, Lee Green and Poplar had the blaze - believed to have been started accidentally - under control by 6.17pm.

Community safety group manager for London Fire Brigade Mark Hazelton said: "Thankfully the woman’s neighbour smelt burning and was able to raise the alarm. Never take the battery out of a smoke alarm and test them regularly.

"It is vital that you have at least one smoke alarm fitted to each level of your home as they can give you warning of a fire and extra time to escape."

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree