'Fortress' Bexley attacked for pulling out of Open House weekend

Teresa Pearce is not happy about Bexley Council's decision.

Bexley Historical Society secretary Penny Duggan.

First published in News
Last updated
News Shopper: Photograph of the Author by , reporter

Bexley Council has been accused of turning the borough into a "fortress" by pulling out of a scheme offering free access to some of its attractions.

The London-wide Open House programme lets visitors enjoy some of the capital’s most famous buildings – and others members of the public don’t normally get the chance to see.

But Bexley Council is one of just three borough councils out of 32 in London not currently signed on for this September’s event, which would have cost the borough more than £4,000 to participate in.

Erith and Thamesmead MP Teresa Pearce told News Shopper: "They are not having the Danson Festival and now they are not going to offer the chance for people to see these places.

"It makes Bexley separate from London like it’s fortress Bexley.

"I know it’s a non-essential service but actually it’s a celebration of the things we have to offer.

News Shopper:

Townley Grammar School's performing arts centre will not be open to the public. 

"It’s typical Bexley in that they probably don’t want people from London coming in – it’s like Bexley is for Bexley people."

As well as offering free access to well-known attractions like Danson House and Hall Place, last year’s event let visitors look round Rose Bruford College in Sidcup and Townley Grammar School in Bexleyheath.

Bexley Historical Society secretary Penny Duggan said: "Danson House and Hall Place are open to the public anyway but the whole point of Open House is to open up places that people don’t normally visit.

"For people who can’t afford to pay to go they are never going to be able to get to see them."

Bromley Council pulled out in 2013 but has gone back on that decision by signing on for this year’s event on September 20 and 21.

News Shopper:

Hall Place. 

Open House programme manager Matt Turtle said: "We will have to wait and see how people respond to Bexley not being in Open House this year.

"Hopefully people will talk to the council and persuade them to come back in."

Councillor Don Massey, cabinet member for community safety and leisure at the time the decision was made, said: "As I have stated on many occasions recently to balance the council's finances difficult decisions are necessary. 

"We have discussed participation in Open House with Bexley Heritage Trust who are an important partner in our cultural initiatives. 

"For several years they have said that Open House does not assist the overall attendance levels at Danson House and Hall Place, and it also reduces the income raised. 

"Local people wait for the free open day rather than pay at other times.

"As Open House costs in excess of £4,000 each year, plus officer time, I considered that it was not appropriate for Bexley to participate this year.

"This decision was taken several months ago."

Follow me on Facebook at facebook.com/tim.macfarlan.1 or on Twitter @NewsShopperTim

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:37pm Thu 29 May 14

Lady Boy Erastusia says...

Something you will not see often in a sentence are culture and Bexley.

The Council's Leaders have decided how the next few years will be. But then people knew what they were voting for. Vote UKIP for instance if you want out of Europe. Vote Conservative for low cost services. Vote Labour for increased spending, and hence a Council Tax rise.

People will just have to leave Bexley to catch history - although at least the loud voices kept the Archives in the Borough
Something you will not see often in a sentence are culture and Bexley. The Council's Leaders have decided how the next few years will be. But then people knew what they were voting for. Vote UKIP for instance if you want out of Europe. Vote Conservative for low cost services. Vote Labour for increased spending, and hence a Council Tax rise. People will just have to leave Bexley to catch history - although at least the loud voices kept the Archives in the Borough Lady Boy Erastusia
  • Score: 4

3:41pm Thu 29 May 14

Lady Boy Erastusia says...

Actually on one of the other comments I did see reference to Bexley and culture. It was the unlicensed strippers at one of the Bexley Mayor's venue. does anyone know if the public house has had its licence revoked yet.... I bet it doesn't
Actually on one of the other comments I did see reference to Bexley and culture. It was the unlicensed strippers at one of the Bexley Mayor's venue. does anyone know if the public house has had its licence revoked yet.... I bet it doesn't Lady Boy Erastusia
  • Score: 1

7:56am Fri 30 May 14

goldenbroomboy says...

Teresa Pearce obviously does not get out much.

Bexley Councils ruling group want nothing more than to be Larndarners, which is why they wasted so much money on putting "London Borough of Bexley" on thousands of road signs. The problem is since they have approved housing developments on every site big enough to sit down on, there is no space left for visiting Larndarners to park their cars.
Teresa Pearce obviously does not get out much. Bexley Councils ruling group want nothing more than to be Larndarners, which is why they wasted so much money on putting "London Borough of Bexley" on thousands of road signs. The problem is since they have approved housing developments on every site big enough to sit down on, there is no space left for visiting Larndarners to park their cars. goldenbroomboy
  • Score: -2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree