A former Bromley and Charlton Athletic player is fighting for his life after a car accident in South Africa.
Goalkeeper George Howard spent a season at Bromley after being released by Charlton in 2012, helping the team achieve London Cup victory over Kingstonian in May last year.
The 20-year-old, from Rainham, who has since spent a season at Gillingham, was involved in the accident on Friday (May 23) while on holiday.
He has been in a coma for the last five days and on life-support.
His friend Martin Di Fede has set up an online fundraising page to support George's family, raising £3,995 so far.
The funds were initially to pay for George's treatment, thought to cost £15,000 a day, but his insurance company has now agreed to pay for this.
The money will now go towards helping George's family stay with him in South Africa.
Mr Le Fede wrote on the site: "For those who don't know George he is a talented, driven, focused and enthusiastic young man who with his infectious personality makes people instantly warm to him.
"For those who do know George know that no words can describe what a great friend he is to so many."
There have been a flood of tweets showing support for George, including from former Crystal Palace defender Kenny Samson, who said: "Please! I urge every1 that sees this to click the link & RT. You could be saving 20 year old @GeorgeHoward40's life!"
Meanwhile the Twitter account @prayforgeorge has also been set up.
In a statement, Charlton Athletic football club said: "The club were saddened to hear this morning of a serious incident involving former academy goalkeeper George Howard.
"The thoughts of everyone at Charlton Athletic are with George and his family at this time."
You can make a donation at George’s Go Fund Me page here.
- Beckenham woman finds mystery 2.5ft snake in her basement flat
- UPDATE: Man arrested after woman's body found in Dartford
- Booked up venue closed following illegal hostel discovery sparks outrage among residents
- Remains of Hurricane Gonzalo results in severe weather warning from Met
- Smoke-filled Bromley theatre result of faulty air conditioning unit