A number of people have claimed a creature spotted sunbathing by a pond off Chislehurst High Street is a terrapin, possibly abandoned by its owner.
Joanne Fagg was walking around Chislehurst at around 4pm on Sunday (May 25) when she saw the beast making the most of the afternoon sunshine.
She said: "We ended up at Prickend Pond, the one next to the Queens Head, and spotted something basking in the sun on a log near the island in the middle.
"It looks like its some kind of terrapin. I've never seen it there before - perhaps it was someone's pet they let go? Or escaped?"
A number have people have got in touch about the animal, with Nicola Lawlor saying: "It is almost certainly a terrapin.
"There are several in and around those ponds and have been there many years, probably released by people who no longer wanted them at the time of the ninja turtles craze.
"I remember seeing them as a kid."
Meanwhile biscuit has commented below the story: "It's a terrapin. Most likely dumped in the pond by an owner who doesn't want it any more.
"It won't survive the cold weather in the winter if its left there."
An RSPCA spokesman said: "If anyone finds an animal that is injured, neglected or abandoned we would urge them to contact the RSPCA's 24-hour emergency line by calling 0300 1234 999.
"Our call takers can offer advice on what is best to do in different situations and task out RSPCA officers to assist where appropriate."
- 'Great looking, high-octane and thought-provoking - what's not to love?': Chappie (12A) reviewed
- VIDEO: Blackheath roundabout attack caught on camera
- The dress that broke the internet: Orpington shop enjoys stampede of sales
- Controversial Kidbrooke towers approved after four-hour meeting
- Woman jailed for four years after tricking man into using his toilet in New Cross