Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Oven clean leads to Gravesend kitchen blaze in Albion Road
A Gravesend woman accidentally set her kitchen on fire after cleaning her oven this morning (May 23).
The Albion Road resident accidentally left the grill on whilst she was tending to her electric oven and food scraps caught alight.
Fortunately her fire alarm alerted her to what had happened and she rang 999 at 7.30am.
Thames-side watch manager Danny Turner said: "We sent two pumps to her home where fortunately, the fire was contained to the oven and surrounding area in her basement kitchen.
"This call-out shows how easily a fire can occur in the kitchen and how invaluable smoke alarms are as the damage to her home, and the potential for injury, could have been considerable if the alarm had not been raised so promptly."
The fire crews arrived at the scene within seven minutes.
The fire caused minor damage to the cooker and minor heat and smoke damage to the surrounding areas but was the incident was resolved within around 15 minutes.
- What a sponger! Great British Bake Off washer upper uses 80 sponges a series
- VIDEO: Bromley pop star Pixie Lott took 'risk' with new album
- 6 expert tips for summer holiday packing from Bluewater's personal shoppers
- Thank Bank: Readers say thank you
- Two arrested after Orpington drugs bust
Comments are closed on this article.