Pregnant Gravesend mum-of-nine Cheryl Prudham takes kids out of school for £5,000 holiday

News Shopper: Cheryl Prudham (The Sun/News Syndication) Cheryl Prudham (The Sun/News Syndication)

A pregnant Gravesend mum-of-nine has pulled her children out of school to go on a £5,000 holiday.

Cheryl Prudham, 32, and husband Robert, 29, could face a fine of more than £800 for taking their family on a two-week break without permission.

The couple, who live in Hampton Crescent, currently claim £38,000 in benefits and tax credits - which could rise by £1,400 when their twin girls are born in September.

Cheryl said she had been refused permission from the headteacher to withdraw her children - but went ahead and did it anyway.

She said: "We told them but you can't get it authorised."

Robert added: "I know what will happen but I don't care. It's our holiday and that's it."

The couple together have Leon, four, Lenny, two, and one-year-old Lainey.

News Shopper: Gravesend mum of nine children is pregnant again- with twin girls

Cheryl has George, 14, Jack, 13, Caitlin, nine, Maisie, eight, Millie, six and Madison, five, from previous relationships.

Fines of £60 per child, per parent, are levied for unauthorised school absences, rising to £120 if they are not paid within 21 days.

The family could face a total penalty of £840.

They were seen lapping up the 24C sun at the three-star, 266-bed, all-inclusive Hotel Victoria Playa in Menorca's Santo Tomas resort.

Cheryl, who is five months pregnant, sat smoking as she and Robert watched the kids play by the pool after jetting out on May 16.

They chatted as the children played in the wooded grounds of the complex yesterday.

When confronted, Cheryl said she had no problem smoking while pregnant.

News Shopper:

The hotel where the family are staying (image by booked.net). 

She said: "I'm not drinking though, am I?

"I asked my midwife and she said to me it would be worse if I give up because I would get too stressed out. So I've cut down."

Last month Cheryl revealed she would finally be getting sterilised after the twins.

The couple each work 20 hours a week as carers for the elderly which brings in just under £1,400-a-month, putting them below the threshold for paying income tax.

Because they are entitled to working tax credits of £70-a-week, they are not affected by the benefit cap, which restricts handouts for many.

They also get £400-a-week in child tax credits.

Last year the couple tried to move from their three-bedroom house in Sittingbourne because it was too small for the family.

They were turned down by Swale Council but found a family on Facebook who wanted to downsize from their five-bedroom Gravesend council home allowing the Prudhams to move in.

Comments (40)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:25pm Fri 23 May 14

kentlad says...

Not the first parents to do this and no doubt they won’t be the last. Why should any parent with children pay more for a holiday outside of term time when people without children who take holidays within school time because they can get their holidays with a 40% discount and in some cases 50%.
If parents can be fined for taking their kids out of school for a few days a year then maybe its time parents start slapping fines on schools and local councils for days they have off for teachers training days and teachers strikes. If children’s education is so important to the government then they wouldn’t make all teachers training days fall within term periods they would make them happen in half term when the kids are on holiday(lets be fair teachers get enough time off) and the strikes are a disgrace too!
Not the first parents to do this and no doubt they won’t be the last. Why should any parent with children pay more for a holiday outside of term time when people without children who take holidays within school time because they can get their holidays with a 40% discount and in some cases 50%. If parents can be fined for taking their kids out of school for a few days a year then maybe its time parents start slapping fines on schools and local councils for days they have off for teachers training days and teachers strikes. If children’s education is so important to the government then they wouldn’t make all teachers training days fall within term periods they would make them happen in half term when the kids are on holiday(lets be fair teachers get enough time off) and the strikes are a disgrace too! kentlad
  • Score: 35

1:27pm Fri 23 May 14

PoppyGreenLeaf says...

What a classy lass. Still least I know which area to avoid going on holiday this year to miss out on the chavs and their little darlin's.
What a classy lass. Still least I know which area to avoid going on holiday this year to miss out on the chavs and their little darlin's. PoppyGreenLeaf
  • Score: 28

1:37pm Fri 23 May 14

PaulErith says...

I hope they're fined as much as possible. This lot should have their benefits cut too if they can afford a holiday. Why should anyone on benefits have a holiday? It's disgraceful. She's a class lass too, smoking whilst pregnant. What a great parent.
I hope they're fined as much as possible. This lot should have their benefits cut too if they can afford a holiday. Why should anyone on benefits have a holiday? It's disgraceful. She's a class lass too, smoking whilst pregnant. What a great parent. PaulErith
  • Score: 40

1:40pm Fri 23 May 14

annam85 says...

The cap on benefits should be the equivalent of a full time job on minimum wage.. regardless of how many children you have, or how many hours you work.

The system is now set up so that people can choose to work part time (16 hours) knowing that they are exempt from a cap in benefits and can therefore claim extortionate sums, for working very little.

I’m not going to criticize this family. In my opinion people like this can’t be reasoned with, they are playing a system which makes this possible and as for taking kids out of school.. I wouldn't expect anything better from them.
The cap on benefits should be the equivalent of a full time job on minimum wage.. regardless of how many children you have, or how many hours you work. The system is now set up so that people can choose to work part time (16 hours) knowing that they are exempt from a cap in benefits and can therefore claim extortionate sums, for working very little. I’m not going to criticize this family. In my opinion people like this can’t be reasoned with, they are playing a system which makes this possible and as for taking kids out of school.. I wouldn't expect anything better from them. annam85
  • Score: 25

1:58pm Fri 23 May 14

Toolbox69 says...

PaulErith wrote:
I hope they're fined as much as possible. This lot should have their benefits cut too if they can afford a holiday. Why should anyone on benefits have a holiday? It's disgraceful. She's a class lass too, smoking whilst pregnant. What a great parent.
A bit harsh. She did cut down and she wasn't drinking! Bless!
[quote][p][bold]PaulErith[/bold] wrote: I hope they're fined as much as possible. This lot should have their benefits cut too if they can afford a holiday. Why should anyone on benefits have a holiday? It's disgraceful. She's a class lass too, smoking whilst pregnant. What a great parent.[/p][/quote]A bit harsh. She did cut down and she wasn't drinking! Bless! Toolbox69
  • Score: 26

2:03pm Fri 23 May 14

reasonable75 says...

We were in Lanzarotte last October, place was full of kids

Heard a couple of dads talking at the bar - whilst they get fined, the fine is less than they save by taking the kids out of school
We were in Lanzarotte last October, place was full of kids Heard a couple of dads talking at the bar - whilst they get fined, the fine is less than they save by taking the kids out of school reasonable75
  • Score: 40

2:20pm Fri 23 May 14

the wall says...

kentlad wrote:
Not the first parents to do this and no doubt they won’t be the last. Why should any parent with children pay more for a holiday outside of term time when people without children who take holidays within school time because they can get their holidays with a 40% discount and in some cases 50%.
If parents can be fined for taking their kids out of school for a few days a year then maybe its time parents start slapping fines on schools and local councils for days they have off for teachers training days and teachers strikes. If children’s education is so important to the government then they wouldn’t make all teachers training days fall within term periods they would make them happen in half term when the kids are on holiday(lets be fair teachers get enough time off) and the strikes are a disgrace too!
Economics 101 : Supply and Demand.


teachers get enough time off..... Really.
[quote][p][bold]kentlad[/bold] wrote: Not the first parents to do this and no doubt they won’t be the last. Why should any parent with children pay more for a holiday outside of term time when people without children who take holidays within school time because they can get their holidays with a 40% discount and in some cases 50%. If parents can be fined for taking their kids out of school for a few days a year then maybe its time parents start slapping fines on schools and local councils for days they have off for teachers training days and teachers strikes. If children’s education is so important to the government then they wouldn’t make all teachers training days fall within term periods they would make them happen in half term when the kids are on holiday(lets be fair teachers get enough time off) and the strikes are a disgrace too![/p][/quote]Economics 101 : Supply and Demand. teachers get enough time off..... Really. the wall
  • Score: -27

2:48pm Fri 23 May 14

PaulErith says...

kentlad wrote:
Not the first parents to do this and no doubt they won’t be the last. Why should any parent with children pay more for a holiday outside of term time when people without children who take holidays within school time because they can get their holidays with a 40% discount and in some cases 50%.
If parents can be fined for taking their kids out of school for a few days a year then maybe its time parents start slapping fines on schools and local councils for days they have off for teachers training days and teachers strikes. If children’s education is so important to the government then they wouldn’t make all teachers training days fall within term periods they would make them happen in half term when the kids are on holiday(lets be fair teachers get enough time off) and the strikes are a disgrace too!
Don't have children if you want to be free to go on holiday whenever you like! School is important and in a week or two weeks, a child can fall behind his/her classmates. It can also have ill effect on the rest of the class because the child that has fallen behind will be wasting the teacher's time asking questions about things that the rest of the class already know.
[quote][p][bold]kentlad[/bold] wrote: Not the first parents to do this and no doubt they won’t be the last. Why should any parent with children pay more for a holiday outside of term time when people without children who take holidays within school time because they can get their holidays with a 40% discount and in some cases 50%. If parents can be fined for taking their kids out of school for a few days a year then maybe its time parents start slapping fines on schools and local councils for days they have off for teachers training days and teachers strikes. If children’s education is so important to the government then they wouldn’t make all teachers training days fall within term periods they would make them happen in half term when the kids are on holiday(lets be fair teachers get enough time off) and the strikes are a disgrace too![/p][/quote]Don't have children if you want to be free to go on holiday whenever you like! School is important and in a week or two weeks, a child can fall behind his/her classmates. It can also have ill effect on the rest of the class because the child that has fallen behind will be wasting the teacher's time asking questions about things that the rest of the class already know. PaulErith
  • Score: 19

2:52pm Fri 23 May 14

Marty1979 says...

Where can I find a job that pays £38000 a year (with an impending £1400 pay rise)?

And what happened to the picture of her having a fag (allegedly on medical advice?)
Where can I find a job that pays £38000 a year (with an impending £1400 pay rise)? And what happened to the picture of her having a fag (allegedly on medical advice?) Marty1979
  • Score: 20

3:06pm Fri 23 May 14

BeckenhamCloud9 says...

Cheryl has George, 14, Jack, 13, Caitlin, nine, Maisie, eight, Millie, six and Madison, five, from previous relationships"

So 6 kids from how many previous relationships - six?

Real clay chav, milking the system for all she can get
Cheryl has George, 14, Jack, 13, Caitlin, nine, Maisie, eight, Millie, six and Madison, five, from previous relationships" So 6 kids from how many previous relationships - six? Real clay chav, milking the system for all she can get BeckenhamCloud9
  • Score: 40

3:09pm Fri 23 May 14

BeckenhamCloud9 says...

That should have said real CLASSY chav
That should have said real CLASSY chav BeckenhamCloud9
  • Score: 20

3:29pm Fri 23 May 14

kentlad says...

the wall wrote:
kentlad wrote:
Not the first parents to do this and no doubt they won’t be the last. Why should any parent with children pay more for a holiday outside of term time when people without children who take holidays within school time because they can get their holidays with a 40% discount and in some cases 50%.
If parents can be fined for taking their kids out of school for a few days a year then maybe its time parents start slapping fines on schools and local councils for days they have off for teachers training days and teachers strikes. If children’s education is so important to the government then they wouldn’t make all teachers training days fall within term periods they would make them happen in half term when the kids are on holiday(lets be fair teachers get enough time off) and the strikes are a disgrace too!
Economics 101 : Supply and Demand.


teachers get enough time off..... Really.
Yeah really??? i should know my first job was a teacher and my wifes a teacher even she agrees teachers are lucky to have all the holiday she receives. Office workers work longer hours and in the current economy are just as stressful and they only get between 20-25days a year off like most workers within London. Teachers get nearly three times that!!!
[quote][p][bold]the wall[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kentlad[/bold] wrote: Not the first parents to do this and no doubt they won’t be the last. Why should any parent with children pay more for a holiday outside of term time when people without children who take holidays within school time because they can get their holidays with a 40% discount and in some cases 50%. If parents can be fined for taking their kids out of school for a few days a year then maybe its time parents start slapping fines on schools and local councils for days they have off for teachers training days and teachers strikes. If children’s education is so important to the government then they wouldn’t make all teachers training days fall within term periods they would make them happen in half term when the kids are on holiday(lets be fair teachers get enough time off) and the strikes are a disgrace too![/p][/quote]Economics 101 : Supply and Demand. teachers get enough time off..... Really.[/p][/quote]Yeah really??? i should know my first job was a teacher and my wifes a teacher even she agrees teachers are lucky to have all the holiday she receives. Office workers work longer hours and in the current economy are just as stressful and they only get between 20-25days a year off like most workers within London. Teachers get nearly three times that!!! kentlad
  • Score: 33

3:32pm Fri 23 May 14

kentlad says...

PaulErith wrote:
kentlad wrote:
Not the first parents to do this and no doubt they won’t be the last. Why should any parent with children pay more for a holiday outside of term time when people without children who take holidays within school time because they can get their holidays with a 40% discount and in some cases 50%.
If parents can be fined for taking their kids out of school for a few days a year then maybe its time parents start slapping fines on schools and local councils for days they have off for teachers training days and teachers strikes. If children’s education is so important to the government then they wouldn’t make all teachers training days fall within term periods they would make them happen in half term when the kids are on holiday(lets be fair teachers get enough time off) and the strikes are a disgrace too!
Don't have children if you want to be free to go on holiday whenever you like! School is important and in a week or two weeks, a child can fall behind his/her classmates. It can also have ill effect on the rest of the class because the child that has fallen behind will be wasting the teacher's time asking questions about things that the rest of the class already know.
Usually i agree with your comments however, people shouldnt be punished financially just for having kids! Holidays should be the same price within or outside of school term time regardless.
Also a few days wont effect them too much.
[quote][p][bold]PaulErith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kentlad[/bold] wrote: Not the first parents to do this and no doubt they won’t be the last. Why should any parent with children pay more for a holiday outside of term time when people without children who take holidays within school time because they can get their holidays with a 40% discount and in some cases 50%. If parents can be fined for taking their kids out of school for a few days a year then maybe its time parents start slapping fines on schools and local councils for days they have off for teachers training days and teachers strikes. If children’s education is so important to the government then they wouldn’t make all teachers training days fall within term periods they would make them happen in half term when the kids are on holiday(lets be fair teachers get enough time off) and the strikes are a disgrace too![/p][/quote]Don't have children if you want to be free to go on holiday whenever you like! School is important and in a week or two weeks, a child can fall behind his/her classmates. It can also have ill effect on the rest of the class because the child that has fallen behind will be wasting the teacher's time asking questions about things that the rest of the class already know.[/p][/quote]Usually i agree with your comments however, people shouldnt be punished financially just for having kids! Holidays should be the same price within or outside of school term time regardless. Also a few days wont effect them too much. kentlad
  • Score: 15

3:37pm Fri 23 May 14

Oldchap says...

So she's 32, has 9 kids already, the eldest 14. Since she was 18 she must have been virtually pregnant the whole time
So she's 32, has 9 kids already, the eldest 14. Since she was 18 she must have been virtually pregnant the whole time Oldchap
  • Score: 25

3:41pm Fri 23 May 14

Oldchap says...

PaulErith wrote:
kentlad wrote:
Not the first parents to do this and no doubt they won’t be the last. Why should any parent with children pay more for a holiday outside of term time when people without children who take holidays within school time because they can get their holidays with a 40% discount and in some cases 50%.
If parents can be fined for taking their kids out of school for a few days a year then maybe its time parents start slapping fines on schools and local councils for days they have off for teachers training days and teachers strikes. If children’s education is so important to the government then they wouldn’t make all teachers training days fall within term periods they would make them happen in half term when the kids are on holiday(lets be fair teachers get enough time off) and the strikes are a disgrace too!
Don't have children if you want to be free to go on holiday whenever you like! School is important and in a week or two weeks, a child can fall behind his/her classmates. It can also have ill effect on the rest of the class because the child that has fallen behind will be wasting the teacher's time asking questions about things that the rest of the class already know.
But are her kids going to worry about education (she obviously isn't)

Why do you need a decent education if you're going to spend the rest of your life on benefits?
[quote][p][bold]PaulErith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kentlad[/bold] wrote: Not the first parents to do this and no doubt they won’t be the last. Why should any parent with children pay more for a holiday outside of term time when people without children who take holidays within school time because they can get their holidays with a 40% discount and in some cases 50%. If parents can be fined for taking their kids out of school for a few days a year then maybe its time parents start slapping fines on schools and local councils for days they have off for teachers training days and teachers strikes. If children’s education is so important to the government then they wouldn’t make all teachers training days fall within term periods they would make them happen in half term when the kids are on holiday(lets be fair teachers get enough time off) and the strikes are a disgrace too![/p][/quote]Don't have children if you want to be free to go on holiday whenever you like! School is important and in a week or two weeks, a child can fall behind his/her classmates. It can also have ill effect on the rest of the class because the child that has fallen behind will be wasting the teacher's time asking questions about things that the rest of the class already know.[/p][/quote]But are her kids going to worry about education (she obviously isn't) Why do you need a decent education if you're going to spend the rest of your life on benefits? Oldchap
  • Score: 21

3:43pm Fri 23 May 14

Spurious1974 says...

It is unlikely that this unauthorised absence from school will have any long term impact on the children. I suspect that each of the children will follow the fine example set by their parents.....

Go out to work and earn just enough to stay below the tax threshold and top up your daily living by taking what you can from a Government that takes its money from those individuals with enough self respect and dignity to go out and get a job which attracts income tax and national insurance.

The sole reason that holiday firms charge different prices at different times of the year is that people pay the money, go on holiday, and then moan about the cost and how they need another holiday to get over the one that they have just been on. Stop paying exorbitant prices and firms will stop charging exorbitant prices.

Commercial organisations are there to make money and earn a profit. While people may find it abhorrent that holiday companies charge higher when schools are closed for the holiday period, they charge the higher price because people are dumb enough to pay the price. Stop paying 'rip-off' prices and firms will stop ripping you off.

Demand = high price.......

No demand =lower prices, bargains etc......

Simple economics........
It is unlikely that this unauthorised absence from school will have any long term impact on the children. I suspect that each of the children will follow the fine example set by their parents..... Go out to work and earn just enough to stay below the tax threshold and top up your daily living by taking what you can from a Government that takes its money from those individuals with enough self respect and dignity to go out and get a job which attracts income tax and national insurance. The sole reason that holiday firms charge different prices at different times of the year is that people pay the money, go on holiday, and then moan about the cost and how they need another holiday to get over the one that they have just been on. Stop paying exorbitant prices and firms will stop charging exorbitant prices. Commercial organisations are there to make money and earn a profit. While people may find it abhorrent that holiday companies charge higher when schools are closed for the holiday period, they charge the higher price because people are dumb enough to pay the price. Stop paying 'rip-off' prices and firms will stop ripping you off. Demand = high price....... No demand =lower prices, bargains etc...... Simple economics........ Spurious1974
  • Score: -10

3:52pm Fri 23 May 14

Marty1979 says...

Robert added: "I know what will happen but I don't care. It's our holiday and that's it."

Typical attitude
Robert added: "I know what will happen but I don't care. It's our holiday and that's it." Typical attitude Marty1979
  • Score: 10

3:54pm Fri 23 May 14

fpercy says...

Would LOVE to know how they get all these kids around. The car they're standing by doesn't look like it can take 9 and 2 adults. Plus the extra 2 when they're born. Can just see them now with kids on their laps, in the boot.........
Would LOVE to know how they get all these kids around. The car they're standing by doesn't look like it can take 9 and 2 adults. Plus the extra 2 when they're born. Can just see them now with kids on their laps, in the boot......... fpercy
  • Score: 9

4:09pm Fri 23 May 14

reasonable75 says...

Marty1979 wrote:
Where can I find a job that pays £38000 a year (with an impending £1400 pay rise)?

And what happened to the picture of her having a fag (allegedly on medical advice?)
More than that, £38000 benefit, £1400 a month for working (= another £16800) with another £1400 "pay rise" in a few months

In all they're getting close to £55000. And what tax do they actually pay?
[quote][p][bold]Marty1979[/bold] wrote: Where can I find a job that pays £38000 a year (with an impending £1400 pay rise)? And what happened to the picture of her having a fag (allegedly on medical advice?)[/p][/quote]More than that, £38000 benefit, £1400 a month for working (= another £16800) with another £1400 "pay rise" in a few months In all they're getting close to £55000. And what tax do they actually pay? reasonable75
  • Score: 20

4:29pm Fri 23 May 14

shabina says...

having nearly 11 kids would stress anyone out !!! keep your legs shut love ... so she is getting sterilised after these 2 are born, should have been done a long time ago ..
having nearly 11 kids would stress anyone out !!! keep your legs shut love ... so she is getting sterilised after these 2 are born, should have been done a long time ago .. shabina
  • Score: 19

5:20pm Fri 23 May 14

mypoint says...

They have reportedly paid £5000 for a family holiday whilst claiming an obscene amount in tax credits etc, I fully agree that holidays can enrich a child's education as they can learn different cultures etc but not at the cost to every tax paying individual in the country, why could they not have taken their children on holiday next week to a British resort, 2 caravans in Devon would have set them back about £1000, holidays should be about spending quality time as a family. Working families cannot afford a long weekend away with 3 children so how is it just and fair these past time workerr can.
They have reportedly paid £5000 for a family holiday whilst claiming an obscene amount in tax credits etc, I fully agree that holidays can enrich a child's education as they can learn different cultures etc but not at the cost to every tax paying individual in the country, why could they not have taken their children on holiday next week to a British resort, 2 caravans in Devon would have set them back about £1000, holidays should be about spending quality time as a family. Working families cannot afford a long weekend away with 3 children so how is it just and fair these past time workerr can. mypoint
  • Score: 19

6:52pm Fri 23 May 14

paulbexleyheath says...

i work real hard for my wage and have done since i left school. i get no where near what they are get GIVEN to them for doing **** al. ok i havnt got 300 kids but never the less just having kids should not mean more hand outs. and if they are going on a 5 grand holiday it just confirms that hand outs are totally out of controll.
i work real hard for my wage and have done since i left school. i get no where near what they are get GIVEN to them for doing **** al. ok i havnt got 300 kids but never the less just having kids should not mean more hand outs. and if they are going on a 5 grand holiday it just confirms that hand outs are totally out of controll. paulbexleyheath
  • Score: 14

7:26pm Fri 23 May 14

JoanneMarie87 says...

The whole point of this story should be about a family taking their children out of school in the holidays.
Instead the media has yet again turned it into a storm frenzy over the fact that she has 9 kids and gets benefits.
Yes I agree there are families that don't deserve to get all the benefits handed to them whilst doing sod all while us hard at work get nothing. I find it frustrating myself!!
But both parents in this case do work. Albeit only 20 hours each, at least they do something.
Yes in the long run they are better off than most with what they get, and yes the father should go out and get a full time job.
But let's not blame the family for what the government are foolishly willing to give out. Would you turn it down??
The amount of kids they have and the fact she smokes is irrelevant , plenty of parents smoked back in the day and we all came out fine
The whole point of this story should be about a family taking their children out of school in the holidays. Instead the media has yet again turned it into a storm frenzy over the fact that she has 9 kids and gets benefits. Yes I agree there are families that don't deserve to get all the benefits handed to them whilst doing sod all while us hard at work get nothing. I find it frustrating myself!! But both parents in this case do work. Albeit only 20 hours each, at least they do something. Yes in the long run they are better off than most with what they get, and yes the father should go out and get a full time job. But let's not blame the family for what the government are foolishly willing to give out. Would you turn it down?? The amount of kids they have and the fact she smokes is irrelevant , plenty of parents smoked back in the day and we all came out fine JoanneMarie87
  • Score: 15

7:49pm Fri 23 May 14

HearTheFacts says...

So where did the £5.000 can from, these people don't save up?. Its live now, today the day.Possible a loan on high interest, no problem default on repayments. Offer a £1 a month, loan company accepts offer or writes it off. Because if the loan company take this couple to court. The court will want to know why a loan was given knowing this couples circumstances. As its a requirement for such checks to be done.

So this couple could get a free holiday!, as clearly this couple know the system. Its use it and abuse it, the system allows it!.
So where did the £5.000 can from, these people don't save up?. Its live now, today the day.Possible a loan on high interest, no problem default on repayments. Offer a £1 a month, loan company accepts offer or writes it off. Because if the loan company take this couple to court. The court will want to know why a loan was given knowing this couples circumstances. As its a requirement for such checks to be done. So this couple could get a free holiday!, as clearly this couple know the system. Its use it and abuse it, the system allows it!. HearTheFacts
  • Score: 9

8:54am Sat 24 May 14

annam85 says...

JoanneMarie87 wrote:
The whole point of this story should be about a family taking their children out of school in the holidays.
Instead the media has yet again turned it into a storm frenzy over the fact that she has 9 kids and gets benefits.
Yes I agree there are families that don't deserve to get all the benefits handed to them whilst doing sod all while us hard at work get nothing. I find it frustrating myself!!
But both parents in this case do work. Albeit only 20 hours each, at least they do something.
Yes in the long run they are better off than most with what they get, and yes the father should go out and get a full time job.
But let's not blame the family for what the government are foolishly willing to give out. Would you turn it down??
The amount of kids they have and the fact she smokes is irrelevant , plenty of parents smoked back in the day and we all came out fine
I dont think you can have one issie without the other. If they didnt get so much benifit money, they wouldnt have dreamed of spending so much on a school fine because she would value her spare cash a lot more. If a couple only work 20 hours between them, they shouldn't be able to afford holidays that even full time working parents can't. Everything in thier life is devalued because of the income they are given, not earnt. Like those rich heirs and heirsesses that are given millions by mummy or daddy...We, the tax payers are doing that to this family. Spoilt brats.. all of them...and because its gone on so long.. there is now a sense of entitlement instead of appreciation.
[quote][p][bold]JoanneMarie87[/bold] wrote: The whole point of this story should be about a family taking their children out of school in the holidays. Instead the media has yet again turned it into a storm frenzy over the fact that she has 9 kids and gets benefits. Yes I agree there are families that don't deserve to get all the benefits handed to them whilst doing sod all while us hard at work get nothing. I find it frustrating myself!! But both parents in this case do work. Albeit only 20 hours each, at least they do something. Yes in the long run they are better off than most with what they get, and yes the father should go out and get a full time job. But let's not blame the family for what the government are foolishly willing to give out. Would you turn it down?? The amount of kids they have and the fact she smokes is irrelevant , plenty of parents smoked back in the day and we all came out fine[/p][/quote]I dont think you can have one issie without the other. If they didnt get so much benifit money, they wouldnt have dreamed of spending so much on a school fine because she would value her spare cash a lot more. If a couple only work 20 hours between them, they shouldn't be able to afford holidays that even full time working parents can't. Everything in thier life is devalued because of the income they are given, not earnt. Like those rich heirs and heirsesses that are given millions by mummy or daddy...We, the tax payers are doing that to this family. Spoilt brats.. all of them...and because its gone on so long.. there is now a sense of entitlement instead of appreciation. annam85
  • Score: 13

8:54am Sat 24 May 14

reasonable75 says...

HearTheFacts wrote:
So where did the £5.000 can from, these people don't save up?. Its live now, today the day.Possible a loan on high interest, no problem default on repayments. Offer a £1 a month, loan company accepts offer or writes it off. Because if the loan company take this couple to court. The court will want to know why a loan was given knowing this couples circumstances. As its a requirement for such checks to be done.

So this couple could get a free holiday!, as clearly this couple know the system. Its use it and abuse it, the system allows it!.
And if the loan company called in debt collectors there would be nothing owned by them to seize

Got all the electrical stuff on rent from Bright House so they can default on that as well
[quote][p][bold]HearTheFacts[/bold] wrote: So where did the £5.000 can from, these people don't save up?. Its live now, today the day.Possible a loan on high interest, no problem default on repayments. Offer a £1 a month, loan company accepts offer or writes it off. Because if the loan company take this couple to court. The court will want to know why a loan was given knowing this couples circumstances. As its a requirement for such checks to be done. So this couple could get a free holiday!, as clearly this couple know the system. Its use it and abuse it, the system allows it!.[/p][/quote]And if the loan company called in debt collectors there would be nothing owned by them to seize Got all the electrical stuff on rent from Bright House so they can default on that as well reasonable75
  • Score: 8

9:15am Sat 24 May 14

shabina says...

who leaked the news that these lot were on holiday!!! and no you should not be allowed to take kids, no matter what ages out of school because the parents needed a break and some nice weather !!! my next door neighbour took her 2 out of school last week to jet off to a water park in spain .. her 2 are in primary school, but thats beside the point .. thats what school half terms are for !!!!
who leaked the news that these lot were on holiday!!! and no you should not be allowed to take kids, no matter what ages out of school because the parents needed a break and some nice weather !!! my next door neighbour took her 2 out of school last week to jet off to a water park in spain .. her 2 are in primary school, but thats beside the point .. thats what school half terms are for !!!! shabina
  • Score: -5

9:27am Sat 24 May 14

JoanneMarie87 says...

annam85 wrote:
JoanneMarie87 wrote:
The whole point of this story should be about a family taking their children out of school in the holidays.
Instead the media has yet again turned it into a storm frenzy over the fact that she has 9 kids and gets benefits.
Yes I agree there are families that don't deserve to get all the benefits handed to them whilst doing sod all while us hard at work get nothing. I find it frustrating myself!!
But both parents in this case do work. Albeit only 20 hours each, at least they do something.
Yes in the long run they are better off than most with what they get, and yes the father should go out and get a full time job.
But let's not blame the family for what the government are foolishly willing to give out. Would you turn it down??
The amount of kids they have and the fact she smokes is irrelevant , plenty of parents smoked back in the day and we all came out fine
I dont think you can have one issie without the other. If they didnt get so much benifit money, they wouldnt have dreamed of spending so much on a school fine because she would value her spare cash a lot more. If a couple only work 20 hours between them, they shouldn't be able to afford holidays that even full time working parents can't. Everything in thier life is devalued because of the income they are given, not earnt. Like those rich heirs and heirsesses that are given millions by mummy or daddy...We, the tax payers are doing that to this family. Spoilt brats.. all of them...and because its gone on so long.. there is now a sense of entitlement instead of appreciation.
Yes I agree with your points on the money to afford the holiday and that it's coming out of our pockets. And yes your right, they shouldn't be able to afford a holiday as huge as that for just 20 hours a week. They probably don't appreciate it as much as you it I would. I can't even afford a trip to Devon!!
I totally agree with everyone's points about the fact they shouldn't of got it, and certainly shouldn't get the money handed to them that they do.

My comment above was purely making light of the fact that people miss the point of the story in the first place and instead go on a tirade of abuse over how many kids she's got and the fact she smokes.
If a women was to have 9 kids, worked and smoked and went on a 5 grand holiday, no one would bat an eyelid..

People forget the real issues in society and instead just want to dish out abuse at every opportunity.
[quote][p][bold]annam85[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JoanneMarie87[/bold] wrote: The whole point of this story should be about a family taking their children out of school in the holidays. Instead the media has yet again turned it into a storm frenzy over the fact that she has 9 kids and gets benefits. Yes I agree there are families that don't deserve to get all the benefits handed to them whilst doing sod all while us hard at work get nothing. I find it frustrating myself!! But both parents in this case do work. Albeit only 20 hours each, at least they do something. Yes in the long run they are better off than most with what they get, and yes the father should go out and get a full time job. But let's not blame the family for what the government are foolishly willing to give out. Would you turn it down?? The amount of kids they have and the fact she smokes is irrelevant , plenty of parents smoked back in the day and we all came out fine[/p][/quote]I dont think you can have one issie without the other. If they didnt get so much benifit money, they wouldnt have dreamed of spending so much on a school fine because she would value her spare cash a lot more. If a couple only work 20 hours between them, they shouldn't be able to afford holidays that even full time working parents can't. Everything in thier life is devalued because of the income they are given, not earnt. Like those rich heirs and heirsesses that are given millions by mummy or daddy...We, the tax payers are doing that to this family. Spoilt brats.. all of them...and because its gone on so long.. there is now a sense of entitlement instead of appreciation.[/p][/quote]Yes I agree with your points on the money to afford the holiday and that it's coming out of our pockets. And yes your right, they shouldn't be able to afford a holiday as huge as that for just 20 hours a week. They probably don't appreciate it as much as you it I would. I can't even afford a trip to Devon!! I totally agree with everyone's points about the fact they shouldn't of got it, and certainly shouldn't get the money handed to them that they do. My comment above was purely making light of the fact that people miss the point of the story in the first place and instead go on a tirade of abuse over how many kids she's got and the fact she smokes. If a women was to have 9 kids, worked and smoked and went on a 5 grand holiday, no one would bat an eyelid.. People forget the real issues in society and instead just want to dish out abuse at every opportunity. JoanneMarie87
  • Score: 5

10:45am Sat 24 May 14

Gypo.Joe says...

Look on the bright side, it could be far worse, they could be immigrants.


THaNk YOU
Look on the bright side, it could be far worse, they could be immigrants. THaNk YOU Gypo.Joe
  • Score: 2

7:21pm Sat 24 May 14

Zorro' says...

This story brought this quote to mind:
‘It was not merely the lack of money. It was rather that having no money, they still lived mentally in the money-world – the world in which money is virtue and poverty is crime. It was not poverty but the down-dragging of respectable poverty that had done for them. They had accepted the money-code, and by that code they were failures. They had never had the sense to lash out and just live, money or no money, as the lower classes do. How right the lower classes are! Hats off to the factory lad who with fourpence in the world puts his girl in the family way! At least he’s got blood and not money in his veins.’
“Keep the Aspidistra Flying” by George Orwell
This story brought this quote to mind: ‘It was not merely the lack of money. It was rather that having no money, they still lived mentally in the money-world – the world in which money is virtue and poverty is crime. It was not poverty but the down-dragging of respectable poverty that had done for them. They had accepted the money-code, and by that code they were failures. They had never had the sense to lash out and just live, money or no money, as the lower classes do. How right the lower classes are! Hats off to the factory lad who with fourpence in the world puts his girl in the family way! At least he’s got blood and not money in his veins.’ “Keep the Aspidistra Flying” by George Orwell Zorro'
  • Score: 25

8:18pm Sat 24 May 14

j.j. says...

The benefits cap can't come too soon. Without it she probably wouldn't have stopped after number 9.
The benefits cap can't come too soon. Without it she probably wouldn't have stopped after number 9. j.j.
  • Score: 5

9:51pm Sat 24 May 14

white rabbit9 says...

Marty1979 wrote:
Where can I find a job that pays £38000 a year (with an impending £1400 pay rise)?

And what happened to the picture of her having a fag (allegedly on medical advice?)
Politician?

Why do people always pick on the lowest of the classes but not pick on the biggest scroungers of them all, politicians?
What about the enormous bonuses that bankers get for making money that doesn't exist putting us all into debt and working like slaves to pay off money they never had?
It's sick these sick bastards get the lowest of society to turn on ourselves which I might add has been happening for a very long time while the rich get richer and richer off of slave labour.
[quote][p][bold]Marty1979[/bold] wrote: Where can I find a job that pays £38000 a year (with an impending £1400 pay rise)? And what happened to the picture of her having a fag (allegedly on medical advice?)[/p][/quote]Politician? Why do people always pick on the lowest of the classes but not pick on the biggest scroungers of them all, politicians? What about the enormous bonuses that bankers get for making money that doesn't exist putting us all into debt and working like slaves to pay off money they never had? It's sick these sick bastards get the lowest of society to turn on ourselves which I might add has been happening for a very long time while the rich get richer and richer off of slave labour. white rabbit9
  • Score: -10

9:33am Tue 27 May 14

PaulErith says...

kentlad wrote:
PaulErith wrote:
kentlad wrote:
Not the first parents to do this and no doubt they won’t be the last. Why should any parent with children pay more for a holiday outside of term time when people without children who take holidays within school time because they can get their holidays with a 40% discount and in some cases 50%.
If parents can be fined for taking their kids out of school for a few days a year then maybe its time parents start slapping fines on schools and local councils for days they have off for teachers training days and teachers strikes. If children’s education is so important to the government then they wouldn’t make all teachers training days fall within term periods they would make them happen in half term when the kids are on holiday(lets be fair teachers get enough time off) and the strikes are a disgrace too!
Don't have children if you want to be free to go on holiday whenever you like! School is important and in a week or two weeks, a child can fall behind his/her classmates. It can also have ill effect on the rest of the class because the child that has fallen behind will be wasting the teacher's time asking questions about things that the rest of the class already know.
Usually i agree with your comments however, people shouldnt be punished financially just for having kids! Holidays should be the same price within or outside of school term time regardless.
Also a few days wont effect them too much.
You say that a few days won't affect them that much, but it could do. If the door is opened to allow kids to be taken out of school then parents will start doing so. At certain times of the year, on any one week, they may be one or two kids that are not in the class. It means that's teachers will constantly be going over topics covered the previous weeks because one or two children have missed it. Just my personal opinion, but I agree with the current ruling.

With regards to the higher cost, it's a difficult one. As people have said, it is demand and supply. You can't blame the travel firms because they're doing exactly what any business does when the demand for their product is high. I did hear one suggestion from a politician which was to greatly stagger school holidays in different parts of the country, hence reducing the massive demand that occurs during the 6 week summer holiday. That would likely help a bit. The problem is that Christmas and Easter are set points in time each year, so difficult to stagger these holidays too much, and if these can't be staggered, I don't see how the summer holiday can easily be either.
[quote][p][bold]kentlad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]PaulErith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kentlad[/bold] wrote: Not the first parents to do this and no doubt they won’t be the last. Why should any parent with children pay more for a holiday outside of term time when people without children who take holidays within school time because they can get their holidays with a 40% discount and in some cases 50%. If parents can be fined for taking their kids out of school for a few days a year then maybe its time parents start slapping fines on schools and local councils for days they have off for teachers training days and teachers strikes. If children’s education is so important to the government then they wouldn’t make all teachers training days fall within term periods they would make them happen in half term when the kids are on holiday(lets be fair teachers get enough time off) and the strikes are a disgrace too![/p][/quote]Don't have children if you want to be free to go on holiday whenever you like! School is important and in a week or two weeks, a child can fall behind his/her classmates. It can also have ill effect on the rest of the class because the child that has fallen behind will be wasting the teacher's time asking questions about things that the rest of the class already know.[/p][/quote]Usually i agree with your comments however, people shouldnt be punished financially just for having kids! Holidays should be the same price within or outside of school term time regardless. Also a few days wont effect them too much.[/p][/quote]You say that a few days won't affect them that much, but it could do. If the door is opened to allow kids to be taken out of school then parents will start doing so. At certain times of the year, on any one week, they may be one or two kids that are not in the class. It means that's teachers will constantly be going over topics covered the previous weeks because one or two children have missed it. Just my personal opinion, but I agree with the current ruling. With regards to the higher cost, it's a difficult one. As people have said, it is demand and supply. You can't blame the travel firms because they're doing exactly what any business does when the demand for their product is high. I did hear one suggestion from a politician which was to greatly stagger school holidays in different parts of the country, hence reducing the massive demand that occurs during the 6 week summer holiday. That would likely help a bit. The problem is that Christmas and Easter are set points in time each year, so difficult to stagger these holidays too much, and if these can't be staggered, I don't see how the summer holiday can easily be either. PaulErith
  • Score: 2

11:53am Tue 27 May 14

the wall says...

kentlad wrote:
the wall wrote:
kentlad wrote:
Not the first parents to do this and no doubt they won’t be the last. Why should any parent with children pay more for a holiday outside of term time when people without children who take holidays within school time because they can get their holidays with a 40% discount and in some cases 50%.
If parents can be fined for taking their kids out of school for a few days a year then maybe its time parents start slapping fines on schools and local councils for days they have off for teachers training days and teachers strikes. If children’s education is so important to the government then they wouldn’t make all teachers training days fall within term periods they would make them happen in half term when the kids are on holiday(lets be fair teachers get enough time off) and the strikes are a disgrace too!
Economics 101 : Supply and Demand.


teachers get enough time off..... Really.
Yeah really??? i should know my first job was a teacher and my wifes a teacher even she agrees teachers are lucky to have all the holiday she receives. Office workers work longer hours and in the current economy are just as stressful and they only get between 20-25days a year off like most workers within London. Teachers get nearly three times that!!!
You're so full of sh1t your eyes are brown.
[quote][p][bold]kentlad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]the wall[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kentlad[/bold] wrote: Not the first parents to do this and no doubt they won’t be the last. Why should any parent with children pay more for a holiday outside of term time when people without children who take holidays within school time because they can get their holidays with a 40% discount and in some cases 50%. If parents can be fined for taking their kids out of school for a few days a year then maybe its time parents start slapping fines on schools and local councils for days they have off for teachers training days and teachers strikes. If children’s education is so important to the government then they wouldn’t make all teachers training days fall within term periods they would make them happen in half term when the kids are on holiday(lets be fair teachers get enough time off) and the strikes are a disgrace too![/p][/quote]Economics 101 : Supply and Demand. teachers get enough time off..... Really.[/p][/quote]Yeah really??? i should know my first job was a teacher and my wifes a teacher even she agrees teachers are lucky to have all the holiday she receives. Office workers work longer hours and in the current economy are just as stressful and they only get between 20-25days a year off like most workers within London. Teachers get nearly three times that!!![/p][/quote]You're so full of sh1t your eyes are brown. the wall
  • Score: -9

3:00pm Tue 27 May 14

sarfflondonbird says...

fpercy wrote:
Would LOVE to know how they get all these kids around. The car they're standing by doesn't look like it can take 9 and 2 adults. Plus the extra 2 when they're born. Can just see them now with kids on their laps, in the boot.........
To cure that problem, no doubt Social will pay for a mini bus adequate enough to ferry all the darlings around in courtesy or YOUR TAX PAYMENTS.
[quote][p][bold]fpercy[/bold] wrote: Would LOVE to know how they get all these kids around. The car they're standing by doesn't look like it can take 9 and 2 adults. Plus the extra 2 when they're born. Can just see them now with kids on their laps, in the boot.........[/p][/quote]To cure that problem, no doubt Social will pay for a mini bus adequate enough to ferry all the darlings around in courtesy or YOUR TAX PAYMENTS. sarfflondonbird
  • Score: -4

3:02pm Tue 27 May 14

sarfflondonbird says...

shabina wrote:
having nearly 11 kids would stress anyone out !!! keep your legs shut love ... so she is getting sterilised after these 2 are born, should have been done a long time ago ..
Well said Shabina. I totally agree with your comments. Two and that is enough. Anymore then stop the benefit payments for the rest of the off spring. We cant afford to keep these type of families can we?
[quote][p][bold]shabina[/bold] wrote: having nearly 11 kids would stress anyone out !!! keep your legs shut love ... so she is getting sterilised after these 2 are born, should have been done a long time ago ..[/p][/quote]Well said Shabina. I totally agree with your comments. Two and that is enough. Anymore then stop the benefit payments for the rest of the off spring. We cant afford to keep these type of families can we? sarfflondonbird
  • Score: -4

3:05pm Tue 27 May 14

sarfflondonbird says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
Look on the bright side, it could be far worse, they could be immigrants.


THaNk YOU
Ironic? Or are you ill or something?
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: Look on the bright side, it could be far worse, they could be immigrants. THaNk YOU[/p][/quote]Ironic? Or are you ill or something? sarfflondonbird
  • Score: -3

3:05pm Tue 27 May 14

sarfflondonbird says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
Look on the bright side, it could be far worse, they could be immigrants.


THaNk YOU
Ironic? Or are you ill or something?
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: Look on the bright side, it could be far worse, they could be immigrants. THaNk YOU[/p][/quote]Ironic? Or are you ill or something? sarfflondonbird
  • Score: -8

3:50pm Tue 27 May 14

ความจริง says...

Another drain on society.............
....
Another drain on society............. .... ความจริง
  • Score: 10

8:37pm Sun 1 Jun 14

shabina says...

new photo of . '' mummy puffing a ciggy''... really the parents have only taken the kids from school for 1 week as their on holiday this week ... why could the parents not just done 1 week in spain? how can the parents relax knowing what thwy have to face when they return? and fin out they're in the local paper again ... pmsl .. i am sure the kids are not so intelligent that they can go with out a week's education !!! without permission, its truanting !!
new photo of . '' mummy puffing a ciggy''... really the parents have only taken the kids from school for 1 week as their on holiday this week ... why could the parents not just done 1 week in spain? how can the parents relax knowing what thwy have to face when they return? and fin out they're in the local paper again ... pmsl .. i am sure the kids are not so intelligent that they can go with out a week's education !!! without permission, its truanting !! shabina
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree