The controversial 26-year-old X Factor champion James Arthur was hopeful about England’s chances in Brazil when we caught up with him at the Soccer Six celebrity football tournament at Charlton FC's The Valley.
Who do you think is going to win?
I always fancy Germany or Spain, just because of their records of the years. Belgium are dark horses this year – they’ve got Hazard, Lukaku.
Who are you backing?
I’m backing England. I’m trying to be optimistic about our chances but we don’t seem to turn up at these big competitions.
Maybe this year, we’ve got Ross Barkley in our team, we have some youngsters in there who could upset the apple cart. You never know...
James Arthur teamed up with You Me at Six and faced-off against Dappy
What advice would you give to Roy?
I can’t give Roy advice. The guy’s a veteran. Win, win games!
Who do you think is going to be the player of the World Cup?
I think Suarez. Obviously he has been player of the year here in England. If he turns up it is going to be difficult. The usuals like David Silva for Spain and Robben, people like that.
Dappy showed James Arthur his big tackle
Where are you going to be watching the games?
I’m going to be all over the place over the summer. The first few games I’ll be in England so I’ll get to see them. After that I’m going to Portugal and places like that.
Will you try to watch the games out there?
I would love to watch the games out there but I’m not sure I’ll get the chance. I’d love to, though.
What are you working on now?
I’ve just put out a mixtape, just to get it out of my system. It’s just a project for the fans. I’m working on my second album now.
- Bucks Fizz's Cheryl Baker is ready to roll back the years in Bromley
- 'We have had 40 years of practice at what we do': pop icon Toyah Willcox is ready for the 80s Invasion in Greenwich
- 'I thought they had booked me by accident' - we chat to Rebecca Ferguson about performing with music legends, her new album and tour
- Grime superstars and NME to open Boxpark Croydon at two-day festival
- Robert Plant joins star-studded Rolling Stone birthday bill at BluesFest in Greenwich