The 89-year-old victim of a vicious attack in her Hextable home has spoken to News Shopper about she cried out to a neighbour, ‘this can’t be happening to me’.

New Shopper revealed on Thursday (May 15) how Jean McDougall was set upon with such force with a crowbar that her false teeth were knocked out.

Eighteen-year-old thug Aaron Davis has been jailed for more than 10 years following the attack in Hextable last year.

During a spate of violent assaults Davis, of College Road, Hextable, robbed and assaulted a number of vulnerable pensioners in their homes.

In one particularly horrific incident on October 15 he knocked on Mrs McDougall's door in Panters, Hextable, carrying a black holdall and asked for the time.

The next thing Mrs McDougall can remember is waking up in an ambulance with a fractured nose and eye socket, a fracture to the base of her spine and other injuries consistent with being repeatedly kicked .

Her false teeth were knocked out during the attack and her glasses smashed.

News Shopper: Aaron Davis

Mrs McDougall told News Shopper: "I’m still not walking properly and I still have a fracture at the base of my spine. It has made me feel my age.

"I had a walking stick but the attacker smashed it over on my husband’s head.

"He still gets terrible headaches from it and the doctors say there is nothing more they can do. He’s never got over the attack.

"My clothes had to be cut off me. I got them back a few weeks ago and they were unusable."

Mrs McDougall has paid tribute to her neighbour who rushed to her aid.

She said: "We were found by my neighbour, Roy, both covered in blood.

"Apparently when he found me, I said: ‘This can’t be happening to me. Tell me it isn’t’.

"The attacker took £60, a necklace and a wallet. We never got them back."

Mrs McDougall is still getting over the shock.

She said: "Now I’m extremely nervous, I have to lock and bolt the doors.

"I went to the attacker’s final appearance in court. He never looked at me once."

Davis was identified after he matched the description given by the victim and his DNA was found on the bag he had left at the crime scene.

Detectives investigating the case linked it to an offence in Panters the previous month.

Davis was sentenced at Maidstone Crown Court on May 6 to 10-and-a-half years in prison.

He had pleaded guilty at a previous court hearing to three counts of GBH with intent, two counts of robbery, burglary of the shed and another burglary at the football pavilion in Hextable Park.

Kent Police Detective Constable Shelley Rainer, who led the investigation, said: "It is a case that has caused immeasurable damage to the victims, their families and the community they live in."