Check out this selection of 12 stunning vintage aerial photographs showing Bromley, Orpington, Beckenham, Chislehurst, Penge and St Paul’s Cray.
The pictures are from English Heritage’s Britain from Above website which features some of the oldest and most valuable images in the huge Aerofilms Collection.
The collection consists of more than a million items, including negatives and photograph albums dating from 1919 to 2006 showing the changing face of Britain.
Photographs featuring on the website date from 1919 to 1953, and have gone through a painstaking process of conservation and cataloguing.
Highlights include the 1935 FA Cup final at Wembley Stadium, the Thames flood of 1947 and Blackpool in 1920.
There are currently 69,000 high-res zoomable images to explore. By the end of the project later this year, 95,000 images will be available online.
For your delight here, we present this dozen amazing shots from the sky showing various parts of the Bromley borough in the 1920s, 30s and 40s.
Photos are copyright of English Heritage, sourced from www.britainfromabove.org.uk
Town centre, Bromley, 1929:
Orpington station, 1930:
The High Street and Church of the Annunciation, Chislehurst, 1929:
The town centre, Orpington, 1930:
Station Road and the War Memorial, Orpington, 1930:
Crystal Palace Park and Crystal Palace, Penge, 1928:
The Sidcup bypass road (A20) cutting through Beaver's Wood, Chislehurst, 1934:
New housing in Clarendon Way, St Paul's Cray, 1948:
Bethlem Royal Hospital, Beckenham, 1930:
Sydenham Industrial Estate, New Beckenham, 1949:
The town, Bromley, from the east, 1929:
Get in touch by email if you've got any great old photos of south-east London or north Kent which we might be able to use.
- REVEALED: Arlo and Ellie are hot - but what are the other most popular baby names in 2016 so far?
- QUIZ: Can you beat the SE London matching game?
- WATCH: 'They ran out of words when they named it' - Ricky Gervais mocks Orpington in Facebook broadcast
- 'Can I have a Big Mac?' – London Fire Brigade reveals top 10 weirdest 999 calls
- 'Worst time of my life': Woman who took Tinder date to Turkey and landed in middle of coup hits back