Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Sydenham care centre launches dementia support group
A Sydenham care centre had a 1940s-style makeover to launch its new dementia support group.
There were dementia awareness talks, information and items from the past to reassure sufferers at the group’s launch at Peartree Care Centre, in Sydenham Road, on May 9.
A reminiscence corner displayed arts and crafts, old-fashioned coins, and even a 1949 wedding dress from a resident who shared American actress Doris Day's name.
The support group for relatives at the care home will meet every two months so they can share their experiences and offer each other support.
Clinical manager Lucy Hyde-Pawley said: "It went really well.
"The group is for the relatives. They want to meet each other and talk about their feelings about their parent’s diagnosis and what they are going through.
"It is such a traumatic period in their lives, just to sit and talk to someone can be a great relief."
- Pakistan legend Saqlain Mushtaq talks cricket ahead of Lashings All Star games in Bromley and Blackheath
- What's on this weekend in south east London and north Kent (August 2 and 3)
- Bexley Council and police investigating if Thamesmead roads were to blame in tragic road death
- Pair trapped in Gravesend crash between van and car
- Firefighters called to huge blaze in Eltham
Comments are closed on this article.