An Abbey Wood newsagent was overwhelmed by a surprise send off after he shut up shop after 25 years.
Jay Patel has run his shop in Eynsham Drive for such a long time that various generations remember his generosity.
The community clubbed together when they heard he was planning to retire at the end of the month and organised a surprise party on April 27.
Mr Patel’s voice cracked with emotion as he told News Shopper: “It was one of the biggest and hardest decisions of my life, to choose to leave – I’ve been here 25 years.
“I’m getting very emotional just talking about it now.
“I’m so grateful to the people who organised it – words can express how I feel.
“Watching generations of people grow up and hearing people’s stories through the good times and the bad times - it has meant so much to me.
“You just can’t replace those memories.”
Mr Patel is concentrating on his other shop in Greenwich after his last day in the Abbey Wood store on May 2.
- The big bang: The wonderful ways Kent reacted
- Plumstead man in court over Woolwich petrol station police stand-off
- Interview: Pop Idol Gareth Gates gets ready for panto
- Catford and Deptford residents likely to die an average of nearly seven years earlier than rest of Lewisham
- 10 of the best movie and TV moustaches for Movember