An Abbey Wood newsagent was overwhelmed by a surprise send off after he shut up shop after 25 years.
Jay Patel has run his shop in Eynsham Drive for such a long time that various generations remember his generosity.
The community clubbed together when they heard he was planning to retire at the end of the month and organised a surprise party on April 27.
Mr Patel’s voice cracked with emotion as he told News Shopper: “It was one of the biggest and hardest decisions of my life, to choose to leave – I’ve been here 25 years.
“I’m getting very emotional just talking about it now.
“I’m so grateful to the people who organised it – words can express how I feel.
“Watching generations of people grow up and hearing people’s stories through the good times and the bad times - it has meant so much to me.
“You just can’t replace those memories.”
Mr Patel is concentrating on his other shop in Greenwich after his last day in the Abbey Wood store on May 2.
- Man, 58, charged with murder after body found in Deptford
- Is this Britain's worst family? Deptford killer's drunk sister smashes car into bus
- Mottingham residents claim they are living 'in the dark ages'
- Anerley man charged with raping 15-year-old schoolgirl and two other sex offences
- What's on this weekend (November 22 and 23)