A woman has died after being hit by a train at Petts Wood station. 

The incident happened at around 10.56am today (April 23), with police seen taping off the station as crowds of passengers were ushered from their trains.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene.

Lines soon reopened, but delays of up to 60 minutes between Bromley South, Hither Green and Sevenoaks were ongoing throughout the afternoon. Normal service has now been resumed (5pm). 

Stella Nelson, 14, was waiting at the station when the incident happened.

She told News Shopper: "I got off the train in Petts Wood and was waiting on the platform.

"I was playing on my phone so I wasn't looking up.

"A train was approaching platform two and there was an announcement saying 'the next train will not stop at this platform'.

"Then there was a loud bang and the train started making weird noises. It didn't stop for a bit.

"When I looked I could see items on the track. There was a bag, a shoe, a bank card."

News Shopper:

A woman, who only gave the name Jennie, added: "I was on the train going to Tunbridge Wells, there was a girl on the platform.

"All of a sudden it felt as if the train would derail. Next we were told to get off, that someone's been hit."

Janet Woodhams, a waitress at nearby Petts Wood Cafe, said: "It's awful, really. It's not very nice for anyone.

"We've had one every year since I've been here - seven in seven years. Something's not right." 

On Twitter, Luce Herring ‏said: "Just seen someone jump in front of a train at Petts Wood. Most traumatic thing I've ever seen."

Sam Royden ‏added: "Just been escorted off the train in Petts Wood as someone fell/jumped in front of the train I was on, the thud was horrendous, very sad."

King Harvest said: "‏Someone just went under the train I'm on. Sounded like we ran over a shopping trolley."

A British Transport Police (BTP) spokesman said: "BTP officers were called to Petts Wood railway station on Wednesday, 23 April after a report that a woman had been struck by a train.

“Officers from BTP and the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) attended the incident.

“Medics from the London Ambulance Service (LAS) also attended but the woman was pronounced dead at the scene.

“The incident is currently being treated as non-suspicious. No formal identification has yet taken place.”

Did you witness the incident? Call 01689 885725