Detectives have released a CCTV image after two train passengers’ phones were swiped from their hands at Brockley rail station.
The thefts took place on March 17 and March 18 when a man snatched two victims’ mobiles and ran from the train as the doors were closing.
British Transport Police (BTP) detectives have released an image of a man they wish to speak to in connection with the thefts.
Detective Constable Oliver Gilbert, of BTP’s robbery squad, said: “On each occasion the passengers were minding their own business when a man snatched their phones from their hand and ran from the train as the doors were closing.
“These thefts were brazen and calculated and I have no doubt that the offender has done this before and will do it again.
“It is vital, therefore, that we speak to the man captured on CCTV as soon as possible as I believe he has vital information about the incidents.”
Anyone who recognises the man or has any information about the thefts is asked to call BTP on 0800 40 50 40 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111 and quote log SSUB/B3 of 22/4/14.
DC Gilbert added: “The tactic used by this thief is a classic example of one of the most common methods used by criminals to steal passenger property."
Operation Magnum highlights other commonly used thieving tactics and can be found at btp.police.uk/theft
BTP tips if you think your property has been stolen:
• Be calm and don’t panic. Report it to a member of transport staff or a police officer straight away
• Report a theft on the Tube or railway network to British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40 or text 61016
• Report a theft on the bus to the Metropolitan Police Service on 101
• In an emergency dial 999 or speak to a member of transport staff or the police
BTP tips for keeping your property safe on London’s Tubes and trains:
• Keep purses secure and carry wallets in an inside pocket
• Zip up hand and shoulder bags
• Carry bags in front of you with flaps against your body
• Keep straps short and bags tucked under your arm
• Don’t display jewellery, mobile phones and MP3 players
• Don’t show your money — keep it safely in your pocket
• Stay alert and aware of what's going on around you when using your phone in public
• Keep your luggage close by and check them regularly
• Install a tracker application on your smartphone and other devices to help trace your item if it’s stolen