Massive Attack to star in new Blackheath food and music festival

Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls, picture courtesy of Ben Morse

Massive Attack

One of the festival's organisers Tom Wates

First published in News
Last updated
News Shopper: Photograph of the Author by , reporter

Tickets go on sale tomorrow (April 16) for the first ever music and food festival in Blackheath - with Massive Attack headlining.

On Blackheath, which has been in the pipeline for four years, is finally coming to the heath for a two-day festival with a farmers market in September.

News Shopper: Massive Attack

The event is the first of its kind to be held on the heath and was originally given the go-ahead in 2012 after a court battle with the Blackheath Society over its licence.

Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls will also be playing, with top chefs, including Gizzi Erskine and Michelin starred Simon Hulstone, cooking up treats on a food stage.

It is the brainchild of three Blackheath-based men, Tom Wates, Alex Wicks and Terry Felgate, who dreamed of bringing a family-friendly music festival to the area and have teamed with promoter Harvey Goldsmith to create it.

Mr Wates, who taught at Colfe’s School jn Lee for six years, told News Shopper: “For me, it is about bringing something to the area.

“There is nothing like this in south east London, we wanted something that is passionate about music and food and creating something of really good quality.

“We didn’t just want to pick pop stars, we wanted music and food to fit in with the creativity of local people. We hope this is something the community will be really proud of.”

News Shopper: One of the festival's organisers Tom Wates

The 40-year-old father-of-two added: “I know some of the locals are worried but I want to put their minds at rest – if you have sensible people running it, it will be a well-run, well respected event.”

Around 30,000 spectators are expected for the festival, run in partnership with John Lewis, which Mr Wates hopes will become an annual community event like Blackheath’s fireworks.

On Blackheath was cancelled for three years running, following time in court, Olympic events and the organisers running out of time last year.

Speaking of today's (April 15) launch, Mr Wates said: “Launching today is the pinnacle of a lot of hard work.

“We just want to get one under our belt to prove that this should be an annual event where people can take their children.

“We have spent four years sourcing the best street food, the best Michelin starred people and the best bands.

“I love Blackheath in the autumn. September fits in with all the families and the weather and fits the gap before you get excited for fireworks and Christmas.”

He went on to urge residents to come along and “not judge” the event until it arrives on September 13 and 14.

Tickets go on sale from April 16 at 9am and are available via onblackheath.com or from SEE tickets on 0871 230 7157, Ticketmaster on 0844 844 0444 and other main agents.

 

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree