HOT cross buns are one of the joys of Easter. That’s why we asked Bexleyheath baker Magdalena Marsden to share her recipe with us.
Magdalena, 37, owns Cocoa & Heart in Izane Road where she runs cooking classes, as well as selling her own treats.
She said: “You can taste the difference really quickly because they are freshly baked.”
250g strong white bread flour
250g plain white flour
250 warm milk (any kind)
1 sachet of fast action dried yeast (7g)
1 1/5 teaspoon of salt (or less if you prefer)
60g caster sugar
1 ½ teaspoon of ground mixed spice
1 large egg
50g unsalted butter
125g dried mixed fruit (currants, sultanas, raisins or any other you like)
For the crosses
50g plain white flour
For the glaze
Apricot jam, water
- Mix together all the dry ingredients – flour, yeast, salt, sugar and spice.
- Add milk, egg and butter and carry on mixing – the dough will be quite sticky.
- Add the dried fruit, turn on a lightly floured work surface and knead for about 10 to 15 minutes. Use plastic dough scraper to help you to knead your dough as it will be quite sticky.
- Make the dough into a round, place in a bowl and cover with plastic bag.
- Leave the bowl in warm place (no more than 32 C) to rise for about an hour or until doubled in size. (in colder kitchens, this will take longer).
- Knock the air out of your dough, divide into 8 to 12 pieces and shape into small rounds (do this by rolling the dough under your hand until smooth and quite firm).
- Place on baking sheet – with space between each bun.
- Cover loosely with plastic bag (lightly oil it, so it doesn’t stick) and leave to prove for the second time until double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/ 180C fan/ Gas Mark 6.
- Mix together the flour and water for the crosses and make a smooth paste. Fill a piping bag with the mixture and pipe cross on top of each bun.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
- To finish your hot cross buns – melt apricot jam with water over medium heat. Brush the buns with the glaze when they are still hot straight from the oven. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Enjoy with extra butter or just on its own.
Go to cocoaandheart.co.uk